Running a test on the MS241 C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol, every time I don’t get on AS for awhile, then come back, it’s so funny....

Anyway to OP how your experiment go....

I have a really nice 024 I got for about nothing, just needed new rubber....I tell ya that damn thing is a fun saw, dead reliable and cuts great....mine has a 16” bar with .325 on it....it cuts just fine...I don’t time my cuts, but it runs the 16” fine.....

I put 16” B&C with the Oregon lo-pro type Chains on the ms250’s I sell and they cut great....I know they would also cut very well in the 024...

Allowing for his TRUCULENT personality, I see some of HT's questions as cutting through the extraneous tangents and getting to the real issues of this post. I used to be on a home winemaking forum, and you wouldn't believe some of the ad hominem posts over things like yeasts, composting techniques, etc. I see that only rarely on this forum.

A 6 tooth .325 sprocket would be interesting. Although I a pretty sure a 7pin .325 sprocket is smaller than a 7pin 3/8. Some of the Aussie 241 owners switch out the Picco setup to .325 for a more durable cutter in our hard woods. In the states though I'd run PS chisel & maybe even give 1/4" chain a go. FWIW Stihl usually gets things right setting up a saw for local conditions. Rarely does a change improve performance.

I think what this site really needs, is for the OP to start 3 or 4 more threads, on 241 bar & chain combos....

giphy.gif

A 6 tooth .325 sprocket would be interesting. Although I a pretty sure a 7pin .325 sprocket is smaller than a 7pin 3/8. Some of the Aussie 241 owners switch out the Picco setup to .325 for a more durable cutter in our hard woods. In the states though I'd run PS chisel & maybe even give 1/4" chain a go. FWIW Stihl usually gets things right setting up a saw for local conditions. Rarely does a change improve performance.

It is considerably smaller, not that much larger than a 6-pin 3/8".

For "gearing" it is the radius that the rivets of the chain runs at just before they leave the sprocket that matters though, and the Picco chassis is lower than a .325 one - you can't just look att the diameter of the rim or spur sprocket, you have to add the distance up to the rivets (not to calculate the chain speed, but to determine the "load" on the saw engine).

A picco rim is larger than a regular 3/8". It has to be to run smoothly around the rim, as the pitch is the same and the chassis of the Picco chain lower.

Back