Future legendary saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done the same thing with some very hard to find NOS parts such as Stihl 084 mufflers, Husky 2100/2101 p&c kits and chainbrake clutch covers, Stihl 056 Magnum p&c kits and ignitions etc. Thats an even riskier endeavor because eventually, people will retire more and more of those saws due to parts availability and the market becomes flooded with serviceable used parts.

I've done the same thing with some very hard to find NOS parts such as Stihl 084 mufflers, Husky 2100/2101 p&c kits and chainbrake clutch covers, Stihl 056 Magnum p&c kits and ignitions etc. Thats an even riskier endeavor because eventually, people will retire more and more of those saws due to parts availability and the market becomes flooded with serviceable used parts.
Sounds like a retirement plan :laugh:

Sounds like a retirement plan :laugh:

It can't work out much worse than my 401k at this point. For example, one of my 461Rs I did some buying, selling, trading and ended up with about $25 out of pocket in a 461R still in the box, so regardless if it appreciates in value or stays flat, I know there will always be a 3000% return on investment. I don't think there is a saw made today, or ever, that you can pay retail for and ever get that kind of return. So, unless you can end up with very little out of pocket investment in a new in the box saw, I'd invest in something other than chainsaws for a long term investment.

I've done the same thing with some muscle car parts. But now there aren't
enough cars out there that need the parts. I talked to a friend a few years
ago who restores Carbs, fuel pumps, distributors. He reminded me that you
could have the most hard to find part and rare part but if no one needs it
then whats it really worth.

There are some saws we wish we would have bought new back in the day and just stuffed them in a closet (MS200T, 346xp, 038 magII to name a few). It got me thinking what saws today might become future legends?
Criteria: Must still be available to buy.
357xp, 262xp,

yes the 056 mag parts do show up but stihl not in good enough condition to warrant the price. i missed a NOS SEM ignition for a $100 on trading post by hours. i traded some firewood for the saw so i guess i'm stihl ahead.

If you're talking about newer saws to stash away in hopes of them gaining value as collector saws down the road, it's very hard to predict, I think your stash needs to be somewhat diverse. This was early on in the start of my stash. I've since added about a dozen saws like a 361, 346, 390, pre xtorq 372, 385, 660, 460, and a few more. People ask how you can keep a saw in the box without running it, it's actually quite easy when you have the same saw that is used, and you have too many saws to begin with. It makes it a lot easier when you do some buying, selling, trading and end up with little to nothing in a new saw in the box. Bottom line is any saw that is new in the box will gain some value in 20 years, what that gain is will take time to figure out. It's a gamble, but if you can end up with little to nothing in the new saw, sit on it 20 years, it will be a pretty nice return on investment. That being said.... I wouldn't go pay anywhere near full retail for an "investment" lots of better investment options than a future collectible chainsaw. A lot of times it's guys that like a saw that they know they are going to stop making so they buy an extra, those guys aren't really doing it to make money, they just know what they like and don't want to gamble that the new one will be better.

View attachment 630379

wow awesome collection, that 084 looks sick
may i know where you live ? asking for a friend *cough* *cough*

wow awesome collection, that 084 looks sick
may i know where you live ? asking for a friend *cough* *cough*

I live in the US, your "friend" can come over, the only things I like to collect more than saws is 1911s and Belgium made Browning shotguns, so he may want to come prepared...*cough*...*cough*...

For profit....I'd say not worth it to stash saws away. How much more money would these said saws bring down the road? For me, probably not enough to warrant the initial investment, storage and handling for lets say 30 years? As for saws that will bring back good memories, might be worth it to hang some on the wall as conversation pieces.

There are some saws we wish we would have bought new back in the day and just stuffed them in a closet (MS200T, 346xp, 038 magII to name a few). It got me thinking what saws today might become future legends?
Criteria: Must still be available to buy.
It’s kinda amazing how many folks simply don’t understand your question .

It's an odd question that is going to get different answers from different people. For example I cut fire wood to heat my house. Someone who sells fire wood or cuts down trees for a living is probably going to have a way different answer than me. Legendary to me means this things still cutting 20 years after I got it. Efficiency and weight aren't as big of a deal compared to a business mans point of view.

I honestly don't think there is any legendary saws built anymore. If there was they definitely are not sold at your local TSC or alike...and surely are not operated by any form of software.

Dolmar ps-5105 , they still make it now called the Makita EA5000p
And the ps-6400 7300 and 7900

I’m keeping a 5105 in a box , and a pre-epa 6400 .

If you're talking about newer saws to stash away in hopes of them gaining value as collector saws down the road, it's very hard to predict, I think your stash needs to be somewhat diverse. This was early on in the start of my stash. I've since added about a dozen saws like a 361, 346, 390, pre xtorq 372, 385, 660, 460, and a few more. People ask how you can keep a saw in the box without running it, it's actually quite easy when you have the same saw that is used, and you have too many saws to begin with. It makes it a lot easier when you do some buying, selling, trading and end up with little to nothing in a new saw in the box. Bottom line is any saw that is new in the box will gain some value in 20 years, what that gain is will take time to figure out. It's a gamble, but if you can end up with little to nothing in the new saw, sit on it 20 years, it will be a pretty nice return on investment. That being said.... I wouldn't go pay anywhere near full retail for an "investment" lots of better investment options than a future collectible chainsaw. A lot of times it's guys that like a saw that they know they are going to stop making so they buy an extra, those guys aren't really doing it to make money, they just know what they like and don't want to gamble that the new one will be better.

View attachment 630379
CAD===maybe.....:crazy2:

Latest posts

Back