Looking to buy a owb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update i ended up buying a used heatmor 400dcss and got it home last night. Im digging the trenches today just have to decide what brand or piping to buy. My wallet us not looking forward to that part
6df75eec0ebafd91654e5e0bd7ff9176.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Update i ended up buying a used heatmor 400dcss and got it home last night. Im digging the trenches today just have to decide what brand or piping to buy. My wallet us not looking forward to that part
6df75eec0ebafd91654e5e0bd7ff9176.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Did you get this hooked up? If so how has it been working?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you get this hooked up? If so how has it been working?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes ive been using it to heat my house since November. I ended up buying the pipe from outdoor furnace supply and am very happy with it.

yes ive been using it to heat my house since November. I ended up buying the pipe from outdoor furnace supply and am very happy with it.
Hey how many time a day do you load your OWB....

What do you keep your thermostat at???

Nice....

I load mine 2-times a day....been brutally cold in Indiana here we’re I live....

Do you heat your hot water with you stove too???
no i do not heat my hot water. I plan on heating my shop next winter with the boiler though. I should have ran a line to the shop before the ground froze this year.

As others have said, if your heat load is large enough and you can get free wood, it's a no brainer to run a boiler. Running natural gas, I would be approximately $1000 a month to heat house, shop, and dhw. With a gasser IWB, I burn about 20 cords per heating season for a total of ~7800sqft. I get my wood for free, just the labor and fuel to get it.

I'd strongly recommend looking at the heatmaster ss gasser boilers. I was turned onto them by a member here and I'm going to install a G200 place of my failing empyre boiler this summer.

As others have said, if your heat load is large enough and you can get free wood, it's a no brainer to run a boiler. Running natural gas, I would be approximately $1000 a month to heat house, shop, and dhw. With a gasser IWB, I burn about 20 cords per heating season for a total of ~7800sqft. I get my wood for free, just the labor and fuel to get it.

I'd strongly recommend looking at the heatmaster ss gasser boilers. I was turned onto them by a member here and I'm going to install a G200 place of my failing empyre boiler this summer.
How long did your empyre boiler last.....did you like the empyre???

no i do not heat my hot water. I plan on heating my shop next winter with the boiler though. I should have ran a line to the shop before the ground froze this year.
I don’t know if anyone told you, but it is extremely easy to put the heat exchanger in for the hot water....you put it in mine in front of your furnace heat exchanger.....

You save even more money when you turn the water heater off......

My highest electric bill ever in the last 5-years with my OWB has been $100 a month in the coldest weather we get....hell I get higher bills in the summer than in the winter...

How long did your empyre boiler last.....did you like the empyre???
I'm on the 3rd heating season now. Repaired a crack in the firebox last spring and now I seem to have a leak at the back left corner of the firebox. Other than the leaks and not having a large enough firebox for my heat load to make 8 hours when it's below 10F, I really like it. It runs very smooth and burns cleanly. Cleaning flue tubes every other week is one thing I won't miss going to the Heatmaster though.

I'm on the 3rd heating season now. Repaired a crack in the firebox last spring and now I seem to have a leak at the back left corner of the firebox. Other than the leaks and not having a large enough firebox for my heat load to make 8 hours when it's below 10F, I really like it. It runs very smooth and burns cleanly. Cleaning flue tubes every other week is one thing I won't miss going to the Heatmaster though.
They should be fixing that, that is absolutely ridiculous.....cracked firebox is catostaphic failure....

Did you treat your water and everything???

They should be fixing that, that is absolutely ridiculous.....cracked firebox is catostaphic failure....

Did you treat your water and everything???
Profab folded almost 2 years ago, so the 25 year warranty means squat now.

Water is treated and in spec.

I don't think that's the only manufacturer that's happened with over the years. I almost ended up with an Empyre 6 years ago but went with something else. Got lucky there I guess.

My .02. I have a NCB-175 Nature's Comfort. Been running it since 2010. I installed it back when there was a tax credit, fuel oil was close to $4 a gallon, and I just had my 15 acres select cut (lots of free leftover wood). I figured my system was paid for in 4 years. Now my only cost is cutting wood. Which is less than a gym membership...lol

I had an Empyre 100 for a couple years, replaced it with a Garn Jr. I hated trying to clean the small tubes in the Empyre.
These boilers are getting too expensive for what they are. I have propane for back up. I’m sure my payback will be around 10 years, but that wasn’t my top concern, it was burning wood.

Back