Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our safety manuals would say to provide more breaks when the weather is oppressive, along with cooling / heating facilities.

Also, to screen out loopy workers using power tools.

Philbert
Such is the conditioning of workers to following paths described and codified in safety manuals, they'll not only dutifully abide by such proclamations but become conditioned towards relying SOLELY upon them, because it's easier for the safety empire builders to ensure a steady demand for their intervention by producing robots than teaching situational awareness in the context of the varied job sites those workers attend. I'm not against minimum standards but lament the breathtakingly short-sighted dismissal of on-site awareness conditioning. At least here in NZ. If I'm not mistaken you teach chainsaw safety or some sort of related instruction? That's the sorts of minimum standards that I feel can be useful. But the intervention, at least here, has gone too loco for words.

View attachment 632092 View attachment 632093 View attachment 632094 Cut a tree for a buddy that was hung up. Think it was basswood? I've maybe cut one before. Got to use the 24" bar on the 288 and it rips pretty good. Also tried some husky chain for the first time. Worked well and threw nice chips.
I'd say most likely. I cut a few this summer to get some carving wood for my grandpa. They are usually real white like your outer wood but a few had some brown core like yours. Super light even when green and of course makes the saw feel powerful.

you lookin for another saw?:rolleyes:
Absolutely not. I was looking for tool bags. Seriously. I have so many chains n stuff now I had to seperate 325, 3/8LP and 3/8 stuff. The 325 bag is the biggest. I had a an extra tool bag for the 3/8 stuff but I dont have a bag for the 3/8LP stuff for my t540

Attachments

• 20180211_183647.jpg
    20180211_183647.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 23
Absolutely not. I was looking for tool bags. Seriously. I have so many chains n stuff now I had to seperate 325, 3/8LP and 3/8 stuff. The 325 bag is the biggest. I had a an extra tool bag for the 3/8 stuff but I dont have a bag for the 3/8LP stuff for my t540
Be right back. Off to take a pic of my b&c tube.

Fits across back seat, or tray. Thought about mounting it under the forward roof rack but never got a round tuit. Tuff, waterproof. Might spark an idea or two.
IMG_20180212_125126643_HDR.jpg

SFA is all I got this weekend in the scrounged wood department , rain , lotsa rain :(
I did scrounge up a saw today .

592043ca7d870cef23af5487fa9e858f.jpg

35 Cnd Pesos

Dancan, that is one hot 50cc saw, if my memory serves me right. Not sure on shipping from Canukinstein to Murica, but if you ever want to let her go, give me a ring. If I remember right, properly built it’ll run with a 346xp.

Be right back. Off to take a pic of my b&c tube.

Fits across back seat, or tray. Thought about mounting it under the forward roof rack but never got a round tuit. Tuff, waterproof. Might spark an idea or two.
View attachment 632139
Cool idea but my spare 16" 325 bar fits in the rigid bag so the only spare bar I would carry is the 32 for the 395. I found 2 Dewalt tool bags in the woodshop I forgot I had. One for the t540 stuff and another for the wierd tools that come with the t540/550. Random extra screnches, screwdrivers and allen wrenches but I have never had to use an allen wrench on my saws. Yet. Now I need just one more toolbag for all my dremel stuff. I robbed one of the bags for the saw stuff and those molded plastic cases that come with the dremels suck. They fit everything in there so tight it doesnt really go back in the case then if you buy extra tools/attachments no way do they fit.

Attachments

• 20180211_194936.jpg
    20180211_194936.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
We could easily start a few new threads on this, but I want to respond to a few things:
. . . they'll not only dutifully abide by such proclamations but become conditioned towards relying SOLELY upon them . . .

That would be a failure of your training, if true. Too often I hear guys claim that they don't need all this safety ****; they just need 'experience'. Problem is that they have to survive to get that experience, my favorite definition being, 'Experience: a series of non-fatal accidents'. Basic safety training, PPE, procedures, etc. have to go hand-in-hand with learning the stuff that books can't teach you.

The other is the 'survivor bias': when one or more guys protest that they have done something a certain way for 'a hundred years' (or more!) and never gotten hurt / killed. Obviously, the guys who did die can't chime in. But when folks step back and look from a larger perspective, there are certain trends or common situations in any workplace where injuries are predictable. These are what drive 'new' standards, procedures, regulations, etc. Every crew should not have to experience an injury or 'near miss' personally to gain this awareness, let alone the guys who cut corners.

But the intervention, at least here, has gone too loco for words.
Can't comment on your specific situation, as I am on the other side of the world (but would love to visit someday)!

Back to killing deer, or whatever this thread is normally about . . .

Philbert

We could easily start a few new threads on this, but I want to respond to a few things:

That would be a failure of your training, if true...have to go hand-in-hand with learning the stuff that books can't teach you.
That's where the over-reliance upon prescriptions and proclamations from the safety industry fails. For they don't prescribe/value/endorse nor enforce anywhere near enough, adequate training. Here, they are themselves victims of a crazy self-reinforcing feedback loop that actually doesn't see the bigger picture. There's only so much situational awareness that can be learned from a book/safety manual. In my opinion it's the most critical aspect of staying safe. Long before the chain brake is engaged or the chaps stop a flaying chain, the brain needs to be and stay engaged in not just the task at hand but the overall picture. If I had to make a choice between authorities enforcing all the PPE/site-safety requirements or enforcing an apprenticeship framework so on-site training was considered the foremost safety factor, I'd ditch the PPE/safety manual route in a heartbeat.

Latest posts

Back