No spark 088

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I would pull the boot off, and look at the terminal that fastens onto the plug, make sure the prong is going into the wire center of the main wire, and unscrew the main wire out of the coil, and inspect.

few weeks back a 070 came into my local shop, everything was right but the flywheel which looked fairly new was the problem
it wouldnt spark with new coil, plug, points/condenser and wires
like you guys say the magnet do go bad at times and apparently are hard to tell
but as for OP's case i would suspect the coil at this point

Thats why coil p/n did not match up with my IPL

So that brings the question how many coils/flywheels with the 088/880 series and which mix and match?

The reason is simpler than that: you gave the part number for a US market coil (1124-400-1309) while that coil is from a non-EPA saw (1124-400-1302), which is also used on the MS780, a version of the MS880 detuned to use low quality fuel and oil.
I think the two coils would swap over no problem, albeit the US market coil most likely has a lower rev ceiling.

Are you tryin' to say that American coils ain't no good?

Here's a rev with a real low ceiling..

View attachment 633178

Type "Honda RC51 soft limiter" in any search engine. Nobody has ever understood why Honda slapped that rev limiter on US-spec bikes, especially given it could be so easily removed and that our bikes revved 1300 rpm higher from the factory without any ill effect.
So say it was due to emission regulations, others due to generic fear of lawsuits, others still merely the result of some corporate bowel movement, but it was not the first nor last time a manufacturer slapped a lower rev limit on US engines.

Back