No more firewood equipment...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For a couple years anyway.
At least no processor.
Our twelve year old mini van transmission is toast.
We bought a car to replace it this week.
Salesman indicated I have Blue Tooth, so I'm going to the doctor tomorrow.
May have to pick up a welder after all, depending on how serious this Blue Tooth thing is.

I worked with a guy that had green teeth. :eek:.

He never did understand why random toothbrushes and jugs of listerine would show up in his locker. You'd think constantly being asked if a cat **** in his mouth would get the point across.

What did you get? Nothing to be ashamed of and glad you could afford it.

I went from a 1999 Legacy Wagon with nearly 300k to a 2016 Legacy Sedan. ol' pocketbook hurts every month but I had to replace or work on, or needed to work on, every major system on the old car, couldn't handle it anymore. Love the heated seats and infotainment system. Miss the manual transmission real bad.

I hear there's another disease that's making the rounds a lot- something called roku. Sounds tropical.
I have two Roku's. While recuperating from surgery, I got addicted to them. I watched all four startrek series, and all the movies, three times, back to back. Got a new dish receiver with netflix and gave one roku up. Wife plans on putting it in her exercise room, the other she already has in her office.

Flying Dutchman: Our son has a 2011 Legacy and loves it, even though he could drive new, and way, way more than I/we could ever afford.

A year after we married, I traded my Datson 280Z, and we bought a new '83 Honda wagon. We kept it ten years. A huge list of other used cars co-existed and followed, because that's what we could afford with three young ones a year apart and in day care, and trying to put some back for a little down on a house. Some of the better cars we bought second hand from family. Not the kind of car you would pick out for yourself, but oh well, some good cars. About fifteen years of used cars, with hit and miss luck.
We bought a new Ford '97 Tauras, after having several used Caravans, one with a year long problematic transmission, even after a dealer replaced it, the trans was pulled three more times under warranty. The last time another new trans was dropped in. That fixed it, but was the last Chrysler/Dodge. Then the Taurus, turtle the kids called it, and years of good Ford minivans. Not a Ford truck fan however. (although in Jan. 2018 the F 150 top vehicle sales, with over 59K units sold. Number two was also a pickup. Chevy I believe.)
We found a nice rust free 2011 Chevy pickup last February in Kentucky, after my wife sold a pop up the previous fall and replaced it with a 2005 camper trailer.
A pop up or camper was not on my horizon at all, but it was on hers for many years.
She always gives and never asks for much, so when she retired, what the heck, and I got on board. I found I like this kind of camping with her, slipping away once a month for a long weekend somewhere. It is a nice break from firewood.

This past week we bought a Subaru Outback, much like the Honda wagon we had years ago. Both very basic. Although very basic is a lot more on cars now. We did get one step up, the 2.5i Premium, for the privacy windows (tinted) and auto climate control and heated seats. No more hot/cold, changing temp every ten miles, when riding with the Mrs's. Worth the package price right there. It also has a CD which the basic did not. She loves books on tape that she gets at the library. We did not get any options, and only two accessories. All weather mats, and some wheel splash guards. Wish they were like the mud flaps on the older Honda's, Volvo's, Saab's and Land Rovers of yesteryear that hung down three or four more inches.
Very possibly our last new car. Gotten older, and keeping a car ten years is common for us, even when we drove a lot.

Changing the subject and adding a little humor...
Seeing how I'm not doing firewood at the moment, we went to the children museum with our grandson, a hands on play place.
I found the fun house mirrors.
You can't see my fingers, but they look to be eight or nine inches long. Creepy, really creepy.
It seems I will also have to add a little longer leather bib to my welding hood than it has right now.

IMG_5667.jpg

Crow Buster: The trill of Sandhill Cranes is one of my favorite sound in the world.

Junk yard offered $215. for the van.
Our daughter knows a guy that said he can get five for it, so I told her you give me two, you get anything over that.
Her friend gets five doesn't mean she will get five.
We drove it to the shop Saturday.
At stop signs you have to shift the auto trans to neutral, because it shimmied like a stick shift if you forgot to clutch. Felt like the engine was coming off the motor mounts.
One of the last few pictures of it with a Hippo off the forklift in back.
247,790. miles total

She just text.
It is on the way to the smasher.

And Ellionna riding shot gun... something firewood related I'm sure.
IMG_5620.jpgIMG_5621.jpg IMG_3677.jpgIMG_3679.jpg

Flying Dutchman: Our son has a 2011 Legacy and loves it, even though he could drive new, and way, way more than I/we could ever afford.

A year after we married, I traded my Datson 280Z, and we bought a new '83 Honda wagon. We kept it ten years. A huge list of other used cars co-existed and followed, because that's what we could afford with three young ones a year apart and in day care, and trying to put some back for a little down on a house. Some of the better cars we bought second hand from family. Not the kind of car you would pick out for yourself, but oh well, some good cars. About fifteen years of used cars, with hit and miss luck.
We bought a new Ford '97 Tauras, after having several used Caravans, one with a year long problematic transmission, even after a dealer replaced it, the trans was pulled three more times under warranty. The last time another new trans was dropped in. That fixed it, but was the last Chrysler/Dodge. Then the Taurus, turtle the kids called it, and years of good Ford minivans. Not a Ford truck fan however. (although in Jan. 2018 the F 150 top vehicle sales, with over 59K units sold. Number two was also a pickup. Chevy I believe.)
We found a nice rust free 2011 Chevy pickup last February in Kentucky, after my wife sold a pop up the previous fall and replaced it with a 2005 camper trailer.
A pop up or camper was not on my horizon at all, but it was on hers for many years.
She always gives and never asks for much, so when she retired, what the heck, and I got on board. I found I like this kind of camping with her, slipping away once a month for a long weekend somewhere. It is a nice break from firewood.

This past week we bought a Subaru Outback, much like the Honda wagon we had years ago. Both very basic. Although very basic is a lot more on cars now. We did get one step up, the 2.5i Premium, for the privacy windows (tinted) and auto climate control and heated seats. No more hot/cold, changing temp every ten miles, when riding with the Mrs's. Worth the package price right there. It also has a CD which the basic did not. She loves books on tape that she gets at the library. We did not get any options, and only two accessories. All weather mats, and some wheel splash guards. Wish they were like the mud flaps on the older Honda's, Volvo's, Saab's and Land Rovers of yesteryear that hung down three or four more inches.
Very possibly our last new car. Gotten older, and keeping a car ten years is common for us, even when we drove a lot.

Changing the subject and adding a little humor...
Seeing how I'm not doing firewood at the moment, we went to the children museum with our grandson, a hands on play place.
I found the fun house mirrors.
You can't see my fingers, but they look to be eight or nine inches long. Creepy, really creepy.
It seems I will also have to add a little longer leather bib to my welding hood than it has right now.

View attachment 634229

Crow Buster: The trill of Sandhill Cranes is one of my favorite sound in the world.

Gandalf is real!!

Sandhill, my wife likes keeping our vehicles a long time too. She takes good care of them. Our Lumina van had over 425000 kms on it and the Chrysler van we have right now has over 410000 kms on it. I usually buy vehicles at auctions and usually get lucky, we'll get another one in the spring.

Back