Yardmax 4-way Wedge for Hardwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weesa20

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just wondering if the Yardmax 4-way wedge is limited to just straight grain soft wood or if it can handle hardwoods? Yardmax splitters look quite robust and are competitively priced with some neat features.

W

I know, right? That's what I said when I found out it comes from the factory with the 4-way and it doesn't cost $150+ extra. Looks like they actually designed it to be used in hardwood too, not just straight grain soft wood!

Amazing!!!!!

W

Just wondering if the Yardmax 4-way wedge is limited to just straight grain soft wood or if it can handle hardwoods? Yardmax splitters look quite robust and are competitively priced with some neat features.

W
I have one with mine and I don't really like it. You have to have just the right rounds to perform properly.

I have one with mine and I don't really like it. You have to have just the right rounds to perform properly.

thanks. Are you splitting hardwood or softwood? Did you pay $150+ extra for it only to find out AFTER you received it that it is limited to straight grain soft wood because the manufacturer doesn't disclose the fact that it can't be used in hardwood on their website where it is purchased?

W

thanks. Are you splitting hardwood or softwood? Did you pay $150+ extra for it only to find out AFTER you received it that it is limited to straight grain soft wood because the manufacturer doesn't disclose the fact that it can't be used in hardwood on their website where it is purchased?

W
It came with the unit.

I don't have a yardmax, but my DHT 4-way sure cut down my time in the woods yesterday on the hickory I processed for the neighbor. When I hit those knots, it took me about 10 seconds to change out the head to a single wedge. Gotta use your head! Our 4-way sure cuts down the amount of time to process wood. Thanks @DHT .

I don't have a yardmax, but my DHT 4-way sure cut down my time in the woods yesterday on the hickory I processed for the neighbor. When I hit those knots, it took me about 10 seconds to change out the head to a single wedge. Gotta use your head! Our 4-way sure cuts down the amount of time to process wood. Thanks @DHT .

I used mine on some hard maple and elm yesterday. I had to switch to the single wedge on 15 or so splits but the 4 way sure worked wonderful on on the other 200 pieces I was splitting.

The first time it was out of warranty, hadn't used it in the warranty period and the company was more than generous to replace it. The second time (twice to give you an answer), I repaired it. I've split cord after cord of wood with our 4-way without a hiccup since then. By the way, we don't have softwood here either. Obviously I don't have an issue, otherwise I would have converted back to the original wedge. Did I mention the best part is when you see "gasp!" a knot or a few pieces with knots or crotches, I'll put them aside and switch to the single wedge which only takes a second or two.

Buy one and see if you can bankrupt the manufacturer.

What's up Dean? or is it Sal?

Seems like some companies are trying to bankrupt themselves...doesn't seem like Yardmax is one of them though.

Seems like Yardmax is selling equipment that is well built and designed with many features included in the price that other companies charge more to include without time wasted installing the upgraded parts.

W

Not confused at all. You've been trolling every thread you can because you're butt hurt. You got slapped and even had a thread deleted. You can't accept the fact that you might be wrong. All you are doing is looking like an ass with every attempt to back door slam a product you misused. Your trying to prove a point that doesn't need proving. Out of the thousands of threads that have been posted since I joined you have the only one that has been locked and deleted I have seen. If that isn't a sign I don't know what is.

This thread is about the Yardmax 4 way wedge. This is not a comparison thread to the DHT 4 way. I have had to delete a lot of posts that got off topic. If you do not have information about the Yardmax then this is not the thread for you and you need to move along. This applies to those that are for AND against the DHT.

W
i did a ton of research on this today. i cannot find anything from yardmax about the types of wood that should be split with their 4 way wedge. waiting on an e-mail reply from them. the only info i did find was that their equipment was warranted for 90 days in a commerical setting. i would think that would apply to the 4 way wedge as well. i'll keep everyone up to date if/when i hear back from yardmax.

I just looked at the pictures of the 4-way they make, I have to say it looks a lot more solid than the Speeco 4 way I bought. I’ve had to make a few “adjustments” to mine to keep it in place.

One needs to first learn the proper way to use a splitter. Just because it's powerful, doesn't mean it will just push through anything you throw at it. Wood has weak spots that once experienced over time one can learn to use those weak points to there advantage. One also needs to understand the danger's of trying to force wood to split buy brute force alone. Common since goes a long way, some have it and some dont. Once one gets enough experience at splitting, one can see where the weak spots are. Sometimes it's best to back off and leave it alone and move on to another piece of wood. I have a pile of wood that I decided was to risky or too tuff to split, I sell it cheap as out door camp wood and as is. I found it's best to leave those pieces alone and move on to more productive wood. Work smarter, not harder.

Latest posts

Back