First Stump Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here. I have been grinding for nine years. I always tell my customers I will do a "rough coverup" of the hole but I do not haul off, rake, or landscape the area. I have NEVER lost a job because of that. My grinder has a blade on it so I will pull the chips back over the hole with the machine. If it is some old man or old woman (Okay, I am seventy years old so they have to be really old), who is infirm, I will spend more time on dressing it up but that is rare.

We'll haul mulch, but it's bid as a separate service, so the customer can accept the price or reject it.

We do municipal grinding contracts and they always want the mulch hauled, then soil and seeded.

I envy you both...I don't have enough work to give up the extra money that goes along with the finish work. I'm still young, so the work isn't too taxing on me.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I wouldn't get talked into the "never clean up" camp. We charge a lot more than those guys and take tons of work from them. Different clientele, different market. I want all my jobs to look tidy and clean when I leave. We also cater to a lot of fancier homes.

I wouldn't get talked into the "never clean up" camp. We charge a lot more than those guys and take tons of work from them. Different clientele, different market. I want all my jobs to look tidy and clean when I leave. We also cater to a lot of fancier homes.
I agree, neither optipn is better or worse- usually nicer neighborhoods will pay a premium for clean up and then seed or sod. I always give the cleanup and topsoil price first, then let them know there are cheaper options if they want to do some work themselves... So far has worked well for me.

We have had an unbelievably mild winter in my area so far... But that is going to change quickly. Other than personally being cold and miserable - is there any certain temperature that you can't grind below? I say this because I am still getting calls and don't really know if it's possible to keep grinding as high temps get down into the 20s... Once again - Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've ground a few in this weather... but I much prefer to wait until spring comes. Too many problems when it gets this cold. Just slow down and take your time when the stumps are frozen, and warm everything up in the driveway at home... don't go to the jobsite just to find out the machine is going to be a PITA and not want to start. Keep the battery on a maintainer.

I was grinding today with beginning temperature at 23 degrees. Finished at 34 degrees. Dressed for it and never felt cold. I seriously underbid this job plus I let the customer talk me into lowering my price which I normally do not do. If the ground is wet and frozen, I don't know if I would do the job. I've never run into that so far.

i had been taught from early on that we do not clean up stump grindings for a variety of reasons that do make sense. However, it still gets me that after doing a good job in often difficult situations we are leaving behind a mound of crap on a clients lawn. Despite that we continue to sell it that way. It would be ideal to clean up, install soil, grade, sod or seed but that can almost triple the cost of the grinding itself. Based on that we rarely include clean up on a proposal unless it is requested in advance.

i had been taught from early on that we do not clean up stump grindings for a variety of reasons that do make sense. However, it still gets me that after doing a good job in often difficult situations we are leaving behind a mound of crap on a clients lawn. Despite that we continue to sell it that way. It would be ideal to clean up, install soil, grade, sod or seed but that can almost triple the cost of the grinding itself. Based on that we rarely include clean up on a proposal unless it is requested in advance.

It's a compamy decision on how to sell and what to include in the service. I personally would quote it as grind stump, separate line for clean up, separate line for soil and seed. The customer can then choose a la carte.

How much do you usually charge for tree stump removal
Here 1 stump 125.00. I can do 50 or more at 12 dollars a stump locally I have entertained traveling as most in other area's make a lot more and beat their machines less we are granite,quartz, it is hard to find a square inch that is not rock here. I started with a small machine they don't cut the mustard here imo. Think dull first stump or two then slow going afterward but my 60 hp gets it done fast enough for me to see some profit. My best day was 128 stumps from 12" dbh to 46" at 12 dollars a stump but if i had used the 252 I would still be there grinding and that was a year ago :p

Yup grind and go here or tripple the job, their choce lol

Is there much difference in grinding a dormant frozen stump than a thawed one?

I just had my place logged and I've got about 8-10 acres of stumps to whack. Was thinking I could start in on them before the ground got gooey and at least make some headway before the heat of summer kicks in.

I just had my place logged and I've got about 8-10 acres of stumps to whack. Was thinking I could start in on them before the ground got gooey and at least make some headway before the heat of summer kicks in.
I like grinding in frozen ground seems like less crap in the air. It's probably harder on the teeth tho... Do it either frozen or dry grinding in mud sucks! I just did a stump right next to a water main break (reason the tree was removed) once I got 8" down I couldn't even swing anymore I had to keep plunging straight down move over 3 inches then plunge straight down it was too gooey it took me way longer then a stump should like 4x as long atleast, and that's with a big tow behind!

As far as when to stop grinding stumps due to temp? Never I've been on the golf coarse below zero and over a hundo our only real criteria is water content.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Less DEET needed to keep the bugs from sucking you dry too! :p

I really don't mind working in the 20's and 30's unless there's a clip of wind. Long john's and a pair of good gloves goes a long way. After the first couple weeks of Feb being -20F when I had to give daily instructions to the crew before sunrise, even the low teens don't feel all that bad now.

Next week's mid-30's looks downright pleasant to me. Might even break out the shorts. :laugh:

Here 1 stump 125.00. I can do 50 or more at 12 dollars a stump locally I have entertained traveling as most in other area's make a lot more and beat their machines less we are granite,quartz, it is hard to find a square inch that is not rock here. I started with a small machine they don't cut the mustard here imo. Think dull first stump or two then slow going afterward but my 60 hp gets it done fast enough for me to see some profit. My best day was 128 stumps from 12" dbh to 46" at 12 dollars a stump but if i had used the 252 I would still be there grinding and that was a year ago :p
Wow thanks for the answer and that sounds like a hell of a day lol

Only difference is hard starting of the machine and cold operator. I grind in frozen ground that I could never access unless drought late August.

We got 12" of sugar-sand consistency snow last week, and finding stumps is "hit and miss" quite literally now.

I'm going to wait for the snow to melt before I worry about grinding anything.

Back