500 cc 2-stroke Honda CR500AF

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is some body trying to insinuate on planet earth that any CR 500 weighed in at under 250 lbs do not think so. Any race ready XR weighed well over 300 lbs. The high dollar works bikes rarely could tip the scales under 240 lbs. The AMA once and while would disqualify some of the SX entries. The biggest problem with the CR 500 in any trim was they could not turn easy. The inertia from the crank and engine was too much for most guys even Roger Decoster did not like the big bores. I have a couple of RM 250s that with fuel ready to pull up to the gate just barely tips the scales at 229 lbs. That is with a huge array of titanium and carbon fiber parts. A stock CR ready to pull up to gate would come in at least 260 probably 280 for a late model with aluminum. I have many friends who used to work for White Brothers and they were always trying to figure ways to cut 5 lbs off of the scales. They were still fun, but really enjoyed pulling them up the elevator at Washougal with my 250s that were not 250s but did not tell anybody. Thanks

Is some body trying to insinuate on planet earth that any CR 500 weighed in at under 250 lbs do not think so. Any race ready XR weighed well over 300 lbs. The high dollar works bikes rarely could tip the scales under 240 lbs. The AMA once and while would disqualify some of the SX entries. The biggest problem with the CR 500 in any trim was they could not turn easy. The inertia from the crank and engine was too much for most guys even Roger Decoster did not like the big bores. I have a couple of RM 250s that with fuel ready to pull up to the gate just barely tips the scales at 229 lbs. That is with a huge array of titanium and carbon fiber parts. A stock CR ready to pull up to gate would come in at least 260 probably 280 for a late model with aluminum. I have many friends who used to work for White Brothers and they were always trying to figure ways to cut 5 lbs off of the scales. They were still fun, but really enjoyed pulling them up the elevator at Washougal with my 250s that were not 250s but did not tell anybody. Thanks
So your rm250 can weigh 229 but his cr can't weigh 230? And isn't an xr a four stroke? Two completely different animals.

An XR is indeed, a four-stroke.

Often enough, weight issues is a lot about nothing. If I had to choose between a light-weight bike and having more riding skills , I'd go with more skills each and every time.

Riding skills wins races. A light-weight bike guarantees you nothing.

My CR500 is made by Service Honda. I don't have a scale to weigh it and Service Honda is now out of business so I can't call them. To the best of my knowledge, the Service Honda CR500AF weighs 230 lbs wet, give or take a few pounds. From my understanding, it is a 2005 CRF250R motorcycle that had the 4-stroke engine removed and the frame modified to accept a 2001 CR500 2-stroke engine. I do know that when I buy any parts for this bike, with the exception of the engine, I have to order parts for a CRF250R. But all engine parts are for a 2001 CR500. Honda stopped making the CR500 in 2001. All factory CR500s were steel frame as Honda never made an aluminum frame CR500. A 2005 CRF250R weighs 204 lbs dry.

2005 Honda CRF250R Specifications

So gentlemen, what I have here is a nothing more, nothing less than a 250 motorcycle with the power of a 500! The end result is roughly twice the power of a 250 with an additional (approximate) 9 lbs for the larger engine. The 250 bikes are quite capable of motocross and winning races. But when you double the power, the additional weight of the larger engine simply disappears! This bike cost $10,000 new when it was bought from Service Honda by the previous owner. Being the second owner, I only paid $3,000. But they typically sell for around $5k to $8K & up depending on mods, trick parts, and condition and that prediction is from a few years ago before Service Honda went under. This bike is in exceptionally good condition, especially considering it is 13 years old. It has only been ridden on light trails a handful of times. It has never been raced or seen a race track that it was made for.

As for riding skills, I have been riding motorcycles all my life, and this beast is a lot to for someone of my skills to handle. It has an insane amount of torque and can lift the front wheel with the simple twist of the throttle. I have never had it off of my 4 acre property so I can't really say what the top speed is or how hard it is to handle off road. To make matters worse, it has an unpredictable power curve and the engine can all of a sudden have a surge of power. Some people believe this is the result of what is commonly referred to as a powerband, believing that a powerband is a device that can be removed or added to the engine. There is no such device called a powerband! The term powerband actually refers to the torque curve of the engine. Ever hear someone say "when the powerband kicks in"? I am going to install weights on the flywheel to smooth out the "powerband" and make the engine a little more predicable

As for anyone wanting to buy a CR500 or always dreamed of owning such an animal, they are as powerful as you think they are. They are fun to ride and the 2-stroke sound is intoxicating! But if you are just wanting something that is fun to ride, a modern 450 4-stroke is plenty capable off road and is a lot of fun to ride off road. You can get a trail version 450 that has wider spaced gears making it a lot better for leisure off-road trail riding. The CR500 is a race only bike. Taking off road as I plan to do takes it out of the element that it was built for. The modern big bore bikes are also much less expensive used and typically has electric start. But a half liter 2-stroke dirt bike is like nothing else on the planet! But it is an absolute @#$% to kick start! I really need a decompression valve! Short riders be forewarned, I am 6'3" and I sometimes stand on a milk to start it when it is cold and requires salvo of 20 kicks, 10 minutes of rest, followed by another 20 kicks. Absolutely aggravating! But when the engine cracks, pops, and comes to life, it is truly worth all the pain and aggravation!

I used to own / race a Suzuki TM-400R Cyclone. Early 70's model.

Anyways, you want to talk about a power-band, the Cyclone had one. But, it was either on or off. It was like a light switch. The Cyclone had a "T" shaped crankshaft. There wasn't much that you could do to smooth out the power delivery, other than a fly wheel weight. I put a 2.5 lb. Moose brand weight on mine.

I've owned countess motorcycles over the years, both on and off-road. Of all the dirt bikes, the Cyclone hit the hardest when it come to power. It was just unbelievable. It was also one of the worst handling bikes I've owned. Even with premium shocks and a frame handling kit installed, it was still off the mark.

I learned a lot from owning that bike. Both good and bad!

I rode a CR500 for a couple years back in the early or mid-nineties..... when I was younger, and dumber than I am today. Sometimes I get to feeling nostalgic, and think about how much fun it would be to find another one .... then I think about how much more it would hurt crashing at my old age.

I always felt that if the bike could ever hook up, it would be completely unridable. The only thing that kept me on the bike was that the rear tire never stopped spinning. Otherwise the bike would just reach for sky and smash you on your back. In fact, the majority of the time I was steering with the throttle, not the handlebars.

You will need some real MX boots to ride that. Kicking mine over destroyed the soles of my Chippewa Logger boots in no time.

Back when Honda came out with the aluminum framed CR250, the 500 engine was a popular mod. The cases were the same between the two motors, so the 500 would more or less bolt right into the 250 frame. Lots of guys experience cracking in the aluminum frames with the 500 engines though.

Have fun with that, but be careful. That is really a young man's bike !!! Very cool though.... brings back great memories.

Yup.......big cc dirt bikes and old(er) guys aren't always a good match.

I sold my XR-600R several years ago. I was due for a new right knee, and I didn't want to take any chances and make things worse. I enjoyed the Hell out of my off-road bikes and have tons of good memories.

If I'm going to fall, that's what I want to fall back on.........all the good memories. ;)

All the big 500cc 4 stroke enduro bikes now have around 60-65hp straight out of the box, the factory 450's are in the 70hp range, I've ridden the old cr 500 models & my 450 with a aftermarket pipe is equal in every way power wise & easier to control, it too will tear all the knobs off a tyre in one ride if the wrong pattern & compound is used.
Thanski

ATK I think had. 700cc 2 smokes.....

And CCM, Clews Compitition Machine had a 603 4 stroke that was very light. Never off the pipe.

Saw them in Germany MX races in the 70s. Sounded like a John Deere.
Would WALK up the hills in the rain. And always raining on race day there it seemed.
Some of Clews machines today like nice. Sort of a MX Egli......

All the big 500cc 4 stroke enduro bikes now have around 60-65hp straight out of the box, the factory 450's are in the 70hp range, I've ridden the old cr 500 models & my 450 with a aftermarket pipe is equal in every way power wise & easier to control, it too will tear all the knobs off a tyre in one ride if the wrong pattern & compound is used.
Thanski
None of the 2018 450mx bikes produce 60hp. your embellishing all those numbers. All of them produce more power than the weekend racers can use.

ATK I think had. 700cc 2 smokes.....

And CCM, Clews Compitition Machine had a 603 4 stroke that was very light. Never off the pipe.

Saw them in Germany MX races in the 70s. Sounded like a John Deere.
Would WALK up the hills in the rain. And always raining on race day there it seemed.
Some of Clews machines today like nice. Sort of a MX Egli......
Aren't there still big 7/800cc 2 smokes running in Sidecar X a German motor producer?

None of the 2018 450mx bikes produce 60hp. your embellishing all those numbers. All of them produce more power than the weekend racers can use.
A stock KTM 500exc is around 63 hp, KTM 450 factory Dakar is around 70 HP, just adding a good aftermarket exhaust to a stock 450 will get them to 60hp.
Thanski

yup, buy an after market powerband and slap it on. Tearing off knobbies at idle and ripping your arms out of their sockets going down the straights.:happy:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Here you go

well, if your some kinda progressive liberal puke from outside of America, you'd be delusional enough to think people would fall for it. :havingarest:

Old rubber will do that.

Not necessarily always a sign of excessive horse power.
You can tell when rubber is old, the carcass will crack everywhere there is stress or been stressed, it's been leaning up against my shed for two years & it hasn't got any cracking like that yet, it is a Michelin hard compound for soft loam conditions & I was riding on dry hard rocky gravel surfaces & doing a lot of power slides, I normally only tear the nobs off some of my front tyres. Some of the guys I used to ride with years ago had CR500's & they'd tear a tyre up like that too sliding, I hadn't seen it happen before so it seems like power / force was most likely the main cause. Have you ever seen a rear tyre like that? I follow the Dakar bike race each year & it's quite common on the factory race bikes to see a tyre like that after a day's rocky stage.
Thanski

Back