I'm looking to expand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
As many of you know I have been selling firewood for a long time and I have a large costumer base.
I'm thinking about putting bbq pits on consignment at my wood lot. Anyone have experience doing this?
If so, what are the in's and out's of selling on consignment. How well did it work or was it a waste of time.
Thanks.

Just make sure you agree to have them pay for the wood you are housing at your lot after a certain time-frame. Not talking about consigned firewood specifically, but the rule of thumb when selling inventory to customers. Same principal.

Just make sure you agree to have them pay for the wood you are housing at your lot after a certain time-frame. Not talking about consigned firewood specifically, but the rule of thumb when selling inventory to customers. Same principal.

I think you misunderstood. I don't want or need wood to sell, I want to add bbq pits and burn pits, wood racks and bbq accessories.

Well, if you do that, you run smack dab into big home improvement centers. landscape companies, and construction companies as competitors. That could be tough.
I'm already in competition for wood sales from them as it is. Not scared. lol It may bring in more costumers then just wood sales alone.

One stop shopping. Anything related to the wood is a bonus to you but remember it also means more of your time is going to be used too. Tire kickers, questions and more questions, humming and hawing over buying something, maybe warranty issues?
Sell Swedish candles, firepits, BBQ wood, bundles, fire starters, sweet corn, raw meat, veggies the list is endless. If you have the time that is.

One stop shopping. Anything related to the wood is a bonus to you but remember it also means more of your time is going to be used too. Tire kickers, questions and more questions, humming and hawing over buying something, maybe warranty issues?
Sell Swedish candles, firepits, BBQ wood, bundles, fire starters, sweet corn, raw meat, veggies the list is endless. If you have the time that is.

Tire kickers come with selling anything. I'm stuck at the wood yard all day and I enjoy talking shop with my costumers. It gets lonely working by yourself all day every day. Though I'll admit, there are some days I just want to be left alone. As for warranty, that would fall back on the manufacturer like most places. Lots of things you buy say, do not return to retailer, contact the manufacturer.
It's just an idea I've been kicking around. I talked to my neighbor that has his own welding shop. And he's all excited to build some wood racks to put over here and sell.
I may have him build a few wood racks and see how it goes.

Working in your favor is the expanded patio fire market that has been growing steadily for about five years. Much of that also comes from RV trailer parks that have also had good success. Around there there are more RV trailers than bays available for rent. Now over half of my firewood truckload sales in the spring and summer go to trailer camps, whereas that business was nil five years ago. Meanwhile, bundle sales continue to go up for the parks and recreation areas.

In addition, one of the local parks just bought 200 new fire pit units, so you may want to get into that business if you can find a welder to work with and a lot of cheap steel. These pits both cook and burn open fires and usually last 5 to 8 years before they rust away, burn out, or get run over by a truck, so there is a turnover market.

Working in your favor is the expanded patio fire market that has been growing steadily for about five years. Much of that also comes from RV trailer parks that have also had good success. Around there there are more RV trailers than bays available for rent. Now over half of my firewood truckload sales in the spring and summer go to trailer camps, whereas that business was nil five years ago. Meanwhile, bundle sales continue to go up for the parks and recreation areas.

In addition, one of the local parks just bought 200 new fire pit units, so you may want to get into that business if you can find a welder to work with and a lot of cheap steel. These pits both cook and burn open fires and usually last 5 to 8 years before they rust away, burn out, or get run over by a truck, so there is a turnover market.
Very good points. The RV/camping/firepit market is pretty hot. Even better if you can offer custom work.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

I think you misunderstood. I don't want or need wood to sell, I want to add bbq pits and burn pits, wood racks and bbq accessories.

Gotcha...I read your post as places that sell BBQ, assuming you would put aside certain amounts of wood for those places.

As many of you know I have been selling firewood for a long time and I have a large costumer base.
I'm thinking about putting bbq pits on consignment at my wood lot. Anyone have experience doing this?
If so, what are the in's and out's of selling on consignment. How well did it work or was it a waste of time.
Thanks.
Like any sales....It's all about location, location, location.
If you can get enough of the product in the faces of the customers, then sales should be good.
I would get buddy to build up a few firewood racks and campfire rings, maybe a few different sizes and styles and put them out front where people can see them easily.
Make them affordable enough and don't forget to point out the local, hand-made quality.
Offer to drop the rack off with their firewood order too.
Good luck and show us some pics when you get some for sale.

There is a little welding shop close to me that makes and sells firepits. Some have grill tops that can be swung over the fire. The pits he sells are all basicly the same shape, but he cuts different scenes in the sides. He uses a cnc plasma cutter, a Plasma Cam table to be exact, to cut out the pits. He cuts several pits at a time and welds one or two together for display. Then if someone wants one, he just pulls out the pieces and welds them up. He can do the same with bbq's as he does with the pits. The metal is is biggest cost, the welding time in minimal. With the pieces precut, its a matter of spot welding everything together and then running beads to stitch it all up. If I was going to get into selling the bbgs and fire pits, I think I would look for a fabricator that has a similar setup as my local guy has. Let him build the bbq's and place them on your lot to sale. You take a piece of the profit and let the welder/vendor foot the bill for the inventory. If you sell enough, the vendor will keep you stocked, if they dont sell, he picks up his inventory and takes it elsewhere. Or if you feel really adventurous, you can lay out the $10grand or so to purchase a small cnc plasma machine, learn how to use it, and to weld, and make bbq's one at a time. Just for info, the local fab shop stays busy cutting out metal art and specialty pieces and he sells a ton of those firepits. Been tempted to buy one myself a time or two.

Back