Finally a sharp hand filed chain...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodguy105

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
great day yesterday finally got a grip on hand filing...was able to see the good results. Good chips and great noodles.

What I found out (through trial and error) light & fewer strokes, level and proper/ consistant angle.and using two hands on the file, one in front the other on the handle, keeps it stable level etc.

I know for many of you guys it's no big deal but it's a beautiful thing IMHO!!

Another few sharpens and you will wonder what all the fuss was about!
And it only gets easier and quicker.

I've been using a stump vise secured to a board on my work bench. Works like a charm. That's how I started using 2 hands on the file, didn't have to hold the saw or bar.

Rob

I'll have to try that, thanks.

If I rock or dirt the chain bad and the teeth are rounded realy bad, I take the chain to my FIL's, He has a windsor chain grinder. That helps alot.

great day yesterday finally got a grip on hand filing...was able to see the good results. Good chips and great noodles.

What I found out (through trial and error) light & fewer strokes, level and proper/ consistant angle.and using two hands on the file, one in front the other on the handle, keeps it stable level etc.

I know for many of you guys it's no big deal but it's a beautiful thing IMHO!!

:clap: I'm getting there slowly. I'm usually in a hurry. I think if I slow down, I'll get better at it. Also I think I should start 'touching' up the chain more often...rather than letting it go until it takes quite a few strokes to get it sharp again.

Kevin

You got it. You just said in a sentance what it took me 3 paragraphs to say in another thread. Like a sharp saw a sharp file does not take a lot of pressure. Two hands, smooth strokes, same angle. If you're haveing trouble without a vice, take a small log and cut through it till your teeth are sticking up high enough for your hands to be comfortable. Make sure your chain is tight enough that it's not flopping over side ways on your push stroke. If you "rocked" it the teeth will be harder to file and give enough resistance to push the tooth over if there's too much slack in the chain. Way to go, Joe.

touch ups are key. your chips will tell you what you need to do and if you did it good or not.

I use a dremel to sharpen my chains. You guys must be using files for a reason, will a file give a sharper longer lasting chain? Thanks

You can risk removing the temper from the cutters when using a dremel. Be careful not to get the cutters too hot and cause them to blue.

I have a 12v sharpener, 110v sharpener (5" stone) couple of clamp on file holders, and still find that a vise and file gives the best result.....once I learned what to aim for.

I have sharpen chainsaw chains almost daily for over 11 years now. Its part of my job. Most .325 but Also a bit 3/8 hobby and 3/8. Untill the very last days I have always used a vice indoors. Just a round file and a raker guide. Switched chain outdoors if necesary. Last year and a half the Husqvarna sp 33g chain ( x cut) witch I consider the best .325 chain so far. Mostly vallorbe round files. Always Two files first 3-4 strokes with a regulary file, then 3-4 light strokes with the vallorbe file. In this way the good vallorbe files last much longer. For the .325 I use 4,8 mm and after a while I use 4,5 mm. Always two hands on the file, one on the handle and one on the tipp.

One thing that have irretated me is that I have not ben abel to file outdoors without a stump vice or indoors without a vice. So I decided to try a new method that I saw on youtube and a tips on a forum. So far I have only practised indoors and the result have not ben tryed out but will soon.

This is how I do it. I am sitting on a chair. The SAW resting on my left thigh holding the saw with my left arm and stabelizing the tooth with my left hand thumb, outside of the thumb. The leg that the SAW is resting on, have I placed on top of something about 10 cm/4 inches high so that the thigh tilt about 30 Degrees or so. Then I file with my right hand, using only one hand.

For the other side its exactly the same only that the SAW is resting on my right thigh, holding IT with my right arm but there is one difference I stabelize the tooth with my right hand pointing finger, filing with my left hand. I am right handed.

As mentioned before I have not tried the result on logging so far, logging mostly sitka spruce, free standing with mostly a lot of branches.
Think the teeths look the same as they did before when using a vice and two hands. Angles is much easier to check when holding the saw in your lap, than when attached into a vise. The rakers can be done in the same way. Annyone Else filing this way or has some viewpoint about it?

Have tryed the metode outside in practise now, work ok for me, just AS sharp or Even sharper than when I was using the wise. Only a few minutts to file upp a 13 inch chain, witch I prefer for limbing.

Back