Guys With Band Saw Mills

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$135/hr and any blades (if there ends up being rocks or metal in the logs). The logs are brought here, mill doesn't go anywhere. Can do around 400-500 bd/ft an hr.

Either they bring or we haul, again at $135/hr.

I think that's gonna vary widely based on location and availability. I charge 100$ and only mill at my place. Logs must be brought to me. Many guys around me with mobile woodmizers charging 90-100$/hr plus travel, etc.
50$ seems very cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I get 25 and hour but they bring logs and take ALL the leftovers with them.---I don't make anything, but lack of mills in this area some guys are thankful that I will do it for them.--I can only cut in decent weather, everything is outside, and my health not the best. thanks; sonny580

You fellas that own band saw mills, Do you ever saw for profit out at someones place?
If so what are you charging them per hour?
I got a quote and want to know if it's reasonable.
One guy nearby charges $50 per hour.

I would ask him roughly how many board feet per hour or day he expects to produce. I have brought my CSM to peoples properties and milled for $75/hr. Plus chains if damaged. And I produce around 200bf/hr.

I would ask him roughly how many board feet per hour or day he expects to produce. I have brought my CSM to peoples properties and milled for $75/hr. Plus chains if damaged. And I produce around 200bf/hr.

I'd be WAY impressed to see a chainsaw mill make that much wood. Maybe if cutting beams? We normally cut 1bys and 2bys.

I'd argue that the baby Woodmizers (LT10 & 15) are leaps and bounds better as far as production and even those would be a push to do 200bd ft an hr.

The 400-500bd ft figure I quoted is with a ~50hp LT40 Woodmizer with 1 guy running and 1 guy offbearing slabs and boards and having a deck of saw logs staged to go.

Not 4/4 for sure. 200bd ft and hour is more than 3 board feet a minute not including fueling sharpening and adjusting the mill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No not 4/4. I usually mill 9/4. The logosol m8 is pretty fast. I’m laughing thinking you guys are picturing an Alaskan style mill. Setup takes almost no time. Come check it out and be impressed. I’ll let you know next time I’m milling. [emoji12]

I did ask how long it would take for set number of trees. But we didn't talk B/F/Hr. Just that it's $50/hr.
The White Pine is a pretty big one. I'd say at least 80 ft tall and about 28" diameter at 4 feet off ground. The 2 Red oaks are about 24" and 20" in diameter and the poplars are from 20" to 18" but very tall at about 80 ft.
The White Cedars are about 22" and smaller.
All total of 9 cedars, 1 white pine, 7 poplars, and 2 red oaks.
He says about 4 hours with setup if I have them set and ready. No charge for transportation.
He is one of our premiere portable mill guys around here with another grubbing and felling part of the company as well.

I did ask how long it would take for set number of trees. But we didn't talk B/F/Hr. Just that it's $50/hr.
The White Pine is a pretty big one. I'd say at least 80 ft tall and about 28" diameter at 4 feet off ground. The 2 Red oaks are about 24" and 20" in diameter and the poplars are from 20" to 18" but very tall at about 80 ft.
The White Cedars are about 22" and smaller.
All total of 9 cedars, 1 white pine, 7 poplars, and 2 red oaks.
He says about 4 hours with setup if I have them set and ready. No charge for transportation.
He is one of our premiere portable mill guys around here with another grubbing and felling part of the company as well.

4 hours? That’s pretty fast...like the sun is kinda warm...Now I’m really curious how long he actually takes and how many bf you get out of it. Keep us posted

Have not cut for hire often and most have been saw a log or do you have a few 5/4's. Had a guy bring me 58 cedar logs he wanted sawed. I was planning on 50 and hour...that was for mill, tractor, and 2 men. Cost was going to be WAY too high....went with 25 an hour...still way too much...finally decided on .30 a board ft and felt it was fair for all concerned.

I know what a board foot is.

The question is what’s a board for this purpose? The time it takes to cut the same volume depends on unit size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We weren’t comparing apples to apples just general numbers. I mill 9/4 most often. The other guys mentioned 1 or 2 by. Widths vary a lot for me usually but under 20” most often. Lengths are usually 10’.

Latest posts

Back