New wood storage idea (horse trailer)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbuildalot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm sure it's been done before, but I thought it was a neat idea. I found this on Craigslist in my hometown. Called the seller to inquire about it. Turns out its literally a half mile from my house. Went to look at it, and liked what I saw. It was homemade, but very well done and very rugged. Interior dimensions of 5'1" W x 10'0" L. 7'0" H ceiling, no leaks or rot. Only light surface rust here and there. 1.5" thick floor boards. The builder used 2-5,000 lb axles (3"), and each tire is rated at 1,872 lbs. I'm going to guess it probably weighs around 2,000 lbs, which leaves plenty of capacity. He was asking $1,000, I paid $850.

My plan is to store a full cord at a time in it and use it for gathering firewood as well.

Once I removed the piping, the interior is nice and roomy.

I had the same idea but it never worked for me because the roof used to suffer from condensation in cold weather, my firewood was constantly wet when stored in the box /trailer

I had the same idea but it never worked for me because the roof used to suffer from condensation in cold weather, my firewood was constantly wet when stored in the box /trailer
I was about to say that you may keep this in check with a good amount of ventilation also if you are leaving it loaded for any length of time I would take the weight off the tyres

If you do that cover the tyres or they will deteriorate & suffer side wall cracking etc.
Tires for a yard trailer are cheap or even free. They don;t need to be road safe or even new. All my trailers will keep tires for at least 10 years without any maintenance or worries. (other then a flat) that is. My Kobota tractor has tires that are 30 years old and are still holding up. I replace my road trailer tires every 8 to 10 years regardless of tread wear. But that's just a safety issue because there a road trailer, not a yard trailer. I have a yard trailer and I have no idea how old the tires are but there at least 10 years old and still holding up fine. Put some flat fix in them and forget them.

I'm sure it's been done before, but I thought it was a neat idea. I found this on Craigslist in my hometown. Called the seller to inquire about it. Turns out its literally a half mile from my house. Went to look at it, and liked what I saw. It was homemade, but very well done and very rugged. Interior dimensions of 5'1" W x 10'0" L. 7'0" H ceiling, no leaks or rot. Only light surface rust here and there. 1.5" thick floor boards. The builder used 2-5,000 lb axles (3"), and each tire is rated at 1,872 lbs. I'm going to guess it probably weighs around 2,000 lbs, which leaves plenty of capacity. He was asking $1,000, I paid $850.
My plan is to store a full cord at a time in it and use it for gathering firewood as well. Once I removed the piping, the interior is nice and roomy.
850 was a good price, People are asking as much for used as they do for new. That dark blue paint should collect heat and bake the wood dry. Keep it parked in direct sunlight so it can collect heat from the sun.

Back