Chain saw Pants or Chaps??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a pair of Husqvarna pants, and a pair of the Stihl (denim) ones... both are good protection, but very heavy. Great in the winter, but in the summer they're too heavy for up in the tree. I got a pair of the Clogger Zeros to climb in, and with long underwear they are still good for all but the really cold days. I prefer the pants on the ground, but I use chaps most of the time during the summer. As others have noted, they're a lot faster to take on/off so when the chainsaw work is done, I take them off until I need to start the saw back up. In the spring, fall and winter when it's cool/cold I use the heavy pants. They can still get a bit warm, but the protection (at least in my mind) is better.

Lightweight climbing pants like the Cloggers are expensive and they take a lot of wear and tear in the tree. Luckily, I'm old enough and slow enough that I'm never in much of a hurry, and take the extra time to be careful not to tear them up too bad. I'm not sure that younger, production climbers will do that, so it's a hefty expense. They'll probably not get more than one or two seasons out of a pair.

I was going to post a pic of all three pair of chainsaw pants, but they're in my trailer... I don't feel like shoveling all the snow and ice off of it, just to dig them out. :(

Even a nick with a saw would be rather expensive, medical bills, medicine, rehab and time off work. Pfanner arbs or Gladiators are like wearing tracksuit bottoms. The main reason most North American fellers/climbers don't wear ppe is that there too cool to be seen in them. It's a matcho **** measuring thing.

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk

on the subject of climbing pants what do you guys use? design c or a?? i climb in custom stihl design c trousers.
Design a are good in summer, design c are good if your positioning sucks and you like cutting under the back of your leg...

Climbed in C for years, design A is so much nicer

That is a fair assessment, unfortunately. But, oh, the excuses and rationalizing hoops they'll jump through just to blame the government for wanting them to look uncool.
Agreed, "God dam safety Nazi's" "My Grand Daddy never wore no God Dam ppe!!!"

Agreed, "God dam safety Nazi's" "My Grand Daddy never wore no God Dam ppe!!!"

And that’s why arborist/ feller climbers what have you; have the highest mortality/injury rates.

A lot of my friends works in Cali dealing with the pine bark beetle and protection was worn by most... although there were people out cutting trees onto the power lines also without PPE.

For me it’s a requirement to wear them at ALL TIMES in the tree especially.
It not so bad once you get that first real bad sweat in them or you faint because you haven’t drank enough water.

All in all though I love the protection ( I like my legs right where they are)

Adam

Latest posts

Back