Looking to purchase a chainsaw in the near future for cutting firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Burnette

Muzzy17is
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a reasonably price saw for main purpose of cutting up oak logs that are brought to me by tree guys. I'm not looking to get into to much larger than 18 inch logs. Which saw should I look at?

My wife bought me a CS590 echo for christmas, and I've been more than impressed with the saw. I've only put a few tanks of gas thru it so far, but it makes for quick work. I have a 455 rancher I bought new and it's been the biggest turd I've owned so I've used my 025 stihl for everything. Now that I have my Echo, it's my go to saw.

I like both my 290 and 362, both with a 20'' bar. I like the 20'' bar because you don't have to bend over as much to reach limbs or logs. Both saw will pull a 20'' bar no problem. The 362 is a bit more peppy then the 290 but both will do the job with no problem. Been running Sthil's for years with no issues at all. They start easy and always work. Resale value is very good as well.

I'd go with a Stihl MS291. It's a 55.5 cc saw.
Although not a "professional" saw, it's a great saw for firewood and can easily pull a 20" chain
Mine has an 18" bar on it
It's been good to me as I only cut up to 10 cords a year for myself and some campfire wood sales.
Look for sales at your local Stihl dealer. They have them every year.
Got my MS291 new 3.5 years back for $480 CAD (reg price was $550) with 3 year warranty

MS291d.jpg ms291 Black Cherry in Fall of 2016c.jpg Stihl MS291c.jpg

I think a 60cc-ish saw is perfect size for firewood. The echo cs590 is probably the most saw you can buy new for the money. Although I haven’t run one personally they seem to be great saws from everything I hear.

I would start looking at saws in that displacement range. Look at the local dealers and choose the dealer you think is the most competent. If you feel comfortable with doing the maintenance yourself then a box store or online purchase could work out.

Why? there are other brands that will do the job for you with equal efficiently & less cash out lay.
for the simple reason that all my saws are worked hard and put away wet/dirty 5-6 days a week and have found that for me stihl lasts the longest

A Dolmar 6100, Husky 562, Jonsered 2260, or a Stihl 362. You pick. Sorry, I don't follow any other brands. I think a 60cc is where you want to be for a one saw setup. Small price differences in initial cost mean very little over 20 years of ownership. Pick one you like and can get repaired if need be.

In my mind, this question can only be answered by opinion, and you will get plenty. With the relatively simple description you included:
max 18" logs. Sounds like you are not felling trees. So, cutting on the ground up to 18" logs. Without naming a brand, I'd suggest you could get away with a 50cc saw with an 18" bar. I'd spend what you are comfortable with, understanding if you spend less than $300 you'll likely be purchasing a replacement saw in less than 10 years. So, for between around $400-$500 you will be able to find a new, relatively light weight saw from any of the major brands. Buy from a saw shop instead of a big box store. Have your dealer start it, do a final adjust and let you lay it into a log he has outside for just this kind of verification you know how to start it, run it, saw safely, and stop it. Then, after 5-10 tanks of fuel take it back to him (or her I suppose) and let them look it over, run it again, and adjust as necessary now that it is broken in.

You could spend a lot more, or buy a bigger saw but it doesn't sound to me like your intentions would warrant that.

Buy what you are comfortable with, for size, weight, safety sake, treat it right, keep a sharp chain on it, and absolutely ensure you are using a premium fuel mix. You'll be fine.

I'm looking to purchase a reasonably price saw for main purpose of cutting up oak logs that are brought to me by tree guys. I'm not looking to get into to much larger than 18 inch logs. Which saw should I look at?
You'll do well with all the brands mentioned.60 CC,+ or - a bit,18 or 20 " bar.Pick one that you're most comfortable with.

Latest posts

Back