I found an Echo that peaked my interest

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Crawford

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I went and visited an Echo dealer today when I had some time to kill. I saw a CS-501P and was impressed. Nearly the same weight as the CS-400 with a lot more power. I was looking into the future for a 40ish cc saw, but think it may be hard to pass up the 501P. I know there's quite a bit of difference in price, but I think it would be worth it. It seems like a nice little saw. A 16" bar would be right at home on it, I would think.

I went and visited an Echo dealer today when I had some time to kill. I saw a CS-501P and was impressed. Nearly the same weight as the CS-400 with a lot more power. I was looking into the future for a 40ish cc saw, but think it may be hard to pass up the 501P. I know there's quite a bit of difference in price, but I think it would be worth it. It seems like a nice little saw. A 16" bar would be right at home on it, I would think.
If you want to save a few bucks check out the 490. Super easy to muffler mod and retune the carb and that saw really wakes up. My buddy and I are very happy with ours.

I’d like to see a muffler modded 501p with a 20” .325” set up to compare to a sporty MS261/026.

If your dealer participates in the Echo Customer Appreciation sale you can get the 490 for $275.

I picked up a 490 and said "yes!" to myself, "this is what a proper 50cc saw should feel like".

Anyway, the 501 is gonna end up with me at some point... I want the sports car, not the sporty sedan..
They feel great when you pick them up, that's for sure.

I suppose if you have monster dawgs, you lose 2” of bar...

I will put the smaller dawg on my 5105, as the double dawgs it came with are just too intrusive for me (and reduce my bar length to not much more than 14”- not measured). I have only run it with the inner dawg, as having both on is ridiculous for me. Even the one gets in my way so far.

Is that small dawg available in NA?

those bars are too big for those saws

only in America (and BC) do people run oversize bars on little saws

and those dawgs! holy crap!

Bar length doesn't matter that much as I seldom run them buried in a log, if the log is that big I bring out a bigger saw. Plus both of those saws do handle that length bar even buried occasionally pretty good, for sure the muff modded CS400. Steve

I'm in the same boat. My 501P is now pulling 3/8" LGX chain on a 16" bar and that's my preferred bar length.
What bar and chain are you running ? The one saw at the local dealer came with 325 chain and they said 18" was the shortest bar available. I really want a 501 but not thrilled with the .325 set up.

From what I've read parts aren't available ie.. drive sprocket to change it . If anyone can school me on how to change it over to 3/8 it would be greatly appreciated. I assume 727sunset is referring to 3/8 lo pro .

Latest posts

Back