372xp oiler question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icedogs28

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just received my new 372xp. Fired right up and sounds great! But I noticed that it seems to oil excessively. It made an oily mess all over the bar and soaked the inside of the clutch cover just from some warm up revs (not WOT). the manual says for my 28" bar , the oiler screw should be set at 4 turns out from closed. As I turn it out from closed, it stops and clicks every quarter turn. So my question... Does the manual mean 4 quarter turn clicks? Or 4 full 360° turns?
Thanks in advance!

Hey guys,
Just received my new 372xp. Fired right up and sounds great! But I noticed that it seems to oil excessively. It made an oily mess all over the bar and soaked the inside of the clutch cover just from some warm up revs (not WOT). the manual says for my 28" bar , the oiler screw should be set at 4 turns out from closed. As I turn it out from closed, it stops and clicks every quarter turn. So my question... Does the manual mean 4 quarter turn clicks? Or 4 full 360° turns?
Thanks in advance!
4- 1/4 clicks

I have a 2008 372. Do they all have an adjustable oiler ?
Yes they do. Flip it over, you will see a small hole in clutch side cover. In that hole you will find an adjusting screw. Directions are cast in fuel tank + & -. Do not force that screw.

I went out and checked my 372 to make sure what I said was correct.
From all the way closed to wide open the adjustment screw makes 4.5 full rotations, or about 18 clicks.

I copied and pasted this from Husqvarna's manual.

The oil pump is adjustable. Adjustments are made by turning
the screw using a screwdriver or combination spanner. The
machine is supplied from the factory set to 1 turn open.
Turning the screw clockwise will reduce the oil flow and
turning the screw anti-clockwise will increase the oil flow.

Recommended settings:
Bar -15": 1 turn from the closed position.
Bar 15" -18": 2 turns from the closed position.
Bar 18" -24": 3 turns from the closed position.
Bar 24" -: 4 turns from the closed position.

Here is the manual if anyone wants to take a look, page 32.
http://www.husqvarna.com/ddoc/HUSO/HUSO2004_EUenAPen/HUSO2004_EUenAPen__1140206-26.pdf

Just re-read the instructions from your link. Same as my book. "turns" does not specify whether it means clicks or full rotations. Manual says 4 turns for a 28", so i did 5 clicks just to be safe. I'm testing the saw tomorrow. Will add more if necessary

I thought we had this conversation :).
Guys if I told you to turn around 4 times and click your heals as you do it, how many times would you need to turn around, lets not complicate things :rolleyes:.
If the manual says 4 turns it means 4 turns not clicks :yes:.
Also if the oiler adjusts from nothing to 4.5 turns(not clicks) and that's 18 clicks as redfir said then I would think that for cutting with a 24 or a 28 you would be closer to all the way out than what 4 clicks would give you at 1 "turn" out o_O.
Can always adjust while cutting.
I agree with this as there are many variables that will dictate where it should be set and the manual is there to get you close.
Some of those variables are the species of wood your cutting, how dry that wood is, type of chain, type of bar oil, and the operator.

Just re-read the instructions from your link. Same as my book. "turns" does not specify whether it means clicks or full rotations. Manual says 4 turns for a 28", so i did 5 clicks just to be safe. I'm testing the saw tomorrow. Will add more if necessary
How'd it do my friend :thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:.

There is more than one model of Husqvarna oiler out there that will work on 362, 365,371,372,375,385,390. Some are only 3 position. I carefully open my oilers wide open for bars over 20 inches to start and turn them down as needed. Would rather have them putting out a little more, than running dry, saves the bar. Put too much pressure on that screw and you will be buying a replacement oiler. It's your saw, bar, chain, oil and money. Run them as you like.

There is more than one model of Husqvarna oiler out there that will work on 362, 365,371,372,375,385,390. Some are only 3 position. I carefully open my oilers wide open for bars over 20 inches to start and turn them down as needed. Would rather have them putting out a little more, than running dry, saves the bar. Put too much pressure on that screw and you will be buying a replacement oiler. It's your saw, bar, chain, oil and money. Run them as you like.
For sure neighbor :hi:.
His is a brand new saw, not one that is new to him.
But your right, I try not to force anything unless i know for a fact it should turn, and even then I'm careful, and sometimes wrong :oops:.

[QUOTE

How'd it do my friend :thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:.[/QUOTE]
I went with Gary and duces click theory.. manual said 4 clicks, so I did 5 just to be safe. Seems to be oiling properly. When I pull up on the chain, nice coat of oil on the drive links. But not making a mess like it was originally.
My saw is a 2017, maybe they came out with a new oil pump that adjusts differently? Idk... But seems to be working well at 5 clicks or 1.25 full rotation.

Wish I had some bigger logs at the house for break in... Hopefully I'll get over to the ranch later in the week to really test this thing out. So far, it rips!!! Love it!
View attachment 637817 View attachment 637818
Looks like it's working well in that situation. I forgot to say size of wood plays a large part in how well it oils also as does the amount of time spent piss revving it:lol:.
Hope it works great when you get over to the ranch later too. They are one of my favorite saws for sure.
Did you fire up the 545 yet?
Don't forget to get the backpack blower out to blow off the porch :).

Looks like it's working well in that situation. I forgot to say size of wood plays a large part in how well it oils also as does the amount of time spent piss revving it:lol:.
Hope it works great when you get over to the ranch later too. They are one of my favorite saws for sure.
Did you fire up the 545 yet?
Don't forget to get the backpack blower out to blow off the porch :).

LOL it definitely does.
The 545 came in late last night. Couldn't make any cuts, but I fired it up:baba: man does it sound good! Let it idle for a few minutes, and did some lite revs. Revs fast and idles great. Hopefully do some break in cuts later today. And yes, the blower will be on clean up duty:laugh:

Back