Need input on drying firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwilliams

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Have about 5 cord stacked along my fence line single town from anywhere of 3-6 months. Just emptied my wood rack out it’s 8’x8’x 8’. Would stacking the 5 cord I have now inthere and wrap clear plastic around the outside be fine to dry it out for next winter? It’s exposed to sun for most of the day and would leave a gap at the top on the sides to let some air out to cut back on dampness and most. Also. Floor is slotted so air can get under the wood rack?

Have about 5 cord stacked along my fence line single town from anywhere of 3-6 months. Just emptied my wood rack out it’s 8’x8’x 8’. Would stacking the 5 cord I have now inthere and wrap clear plastic around the outside be fine to dry it out for next winter? It’s exposed to sun for most of the day and would leave a gap at the top on the sides to let some air out to cut back on dampness and most. Also. Floor is slotted so air can get under the wood rack?
Is it split already?

Could you stack the split wood with a wood free channel down the middle? Also place a layer of timber pallets half way up to increase airflow. The plastic is a good idea to increase heat to help dry it all out but there might not be enough airflow in the middle of the cube which could cause trouble.

NO clear plastic. It holds the moisture in . personal preference is off the ground (pallets etc.) and just top cover it. you didn't say what kind of wood so that would make a diff on how fast it dries.

I've got a detached garage with 24' on the front and back side. Stacked 3 pallets deep it dries plenty for every other year. No cover, no wrap, just exposed to the sun and elements.

I built a hoop barn out of pvc and pallets and a tarp roof and my wood is super dry. Way dryer than when I used to tarp it. Cut in winter split in spring and by burning season it's real dry. The wood shed is the way to go. It allows for air circulation and cover. Also gets real warm in there in the summer.

Any split wood stacked off the ground and preferably with top covered will be seasoned for next winter.
I'd much rather have the top covered and sides open but perhaps my opinion has no merit as I've never tested the seasoning process with the sides covered.
It may build additional heat and have a chimney effect as long as the plastic wasn't smothering the wood.

Second on the wood shed is the way to go. Build the shed large enough to hold 2 years worth of wood. It gives the wood plenty of time to dry out. That way you don't worry about running out of wood. If it is a really cold winter you can just dip in to the next years wood supply a little. Build it not too deep, but make it wide. Burn the wood left to right one year, and right to left the next year.

That's where I messed up I built it for 1 years wood and this year the burning season was heavy from October on. That's not normal but luckiy it has slowed down lately. Next year I will stack it higher. My front row gets wet from the rain but who cares it's for the beginning of the season.

I have my wood sitting on top of plastic pallets, stacked two rows deep, running along the chain link fence. Exposed to the elements, always seasons during our hot summers.

I only cover about a half cord at a time to keep rain off as I am ready to burn it.

Time, size of the splits and exposure to wind & sun. Did I mention TIME?

This is the way I do it.

wvelht.jpg

xf0s2u.jpg

wbccgo.jpg

If you build a Shed try using cattle fencing for the side walls - its welded wire, support it with some 2x4 or something but it is strong enough to hold the wood and will allow air to get to the wood. The wood will dry a lot faster with more air just my .02

My wood sits out doors against my barn for at least a year before I split it and put it in the wood shed. So if it's green wood it's already dried from that then the wood shed dries the moisture out from the rain and snow. I don't think you can speed up the green wood drying process.

Same answer as others.
I'd stack it on pallets and cover the top with metal roofing if you want. No tarps or plastic as that will keep moisture in and grow mold.
I actually just leave mine in a sunny, windy location with no cover at all.
Then I move it to my racks under my deck before directly into stove.

Back