Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had family in town this weekend, plus soccer games for the kids, and a men's rugby game for myself so very little time to scrounge.

Managed to pull two loads like this yesterday from the property that was timbered. The second load isn't pictured and it was a bigger load with bigger branches.

I'm finding it quicker to haul full length when I'm able and then to buck and split at home.
IMG_20180304_121155839.jpg

You want to see how shaped is the oak I cut a couple weeks ago? :laugh:
Some of us cannot afford to pass over firewood or just have this compulsion to cut and split the most contorted, oddly shaped trees we can find. In fact I have been raking my brains on how to cut a very oddly shaped oak in a very odd place.
Yes, I could get other trees, but that's a free oak that needs to go...
You guys would love my scraps I burnt off last week lol around 6 cords :eek:

Dang I need to learn to deal :p I'll cut all you can load deal :p

I posted this on the neighborhood's FB page:

Any DIY neighbors that want some help clearing >>fallen<< trees? I'll help you cut >>downed<< trees. If they're Oak I'd like to keep the wood as I have a wood stove. USFS certified chainsaw volunteer.

It seemed to set expectations pretty well.

had some help from fellow scrounger @James Miller with my maple mess. got all the firewood cut to length. stihl have all the brush to clean up but i needed to get the ash blow down split and in the dry. i checked a few pieces with the MM and most was under 12%. guess whats burnin next week? James with his Dellerized Echo 590 and the aftermath.20180305_103250.jpg 20180305_103338.jpg 20180305_155030.jpg .

That’s the way they make an Echo “run good” cut hollow logs. My Husky will cut real logs...

Just stirring the pot boys, hehehehehe
i knew a delusional husky owner would make a comment about the hollow log. :laugh: :hi: Matt. hope your gettin ready for the big snow later this week.

Im in MD we had most of our bridges shut down due to the wind - had trains pushed into rivers - trucks tipped over. I live near the bay on the Easternshore and we had 80 mph gust at the Bay bridge mid day. Usually this is not a big deal but its been raining here forever and a day its seems. Lots of firewood to be had around these parts - with another storm hitting in a day or so . Fun times

Back