I HATE cleaning the stove pipe...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How flexible are the sooteater rods? They look kinda thick. Must flex better then they appear?

I have several sections of the old twisted wire cable type. But my brush doesn't work well in the liner because of the 3 screws in each a section. So I just run a chain up and down.. Works but the pita factor is high.
I have no problem getting almost a 90* angle

Thanks Ironworker that's what I was wondering. Considering my roof is 14/10 cleaning from inside sounds better all the time.

It really helps if you have a fully insulated flue.

I put in a stainless liner w/insulation kit in my fireplace flue, to connect a big old warner stove. Two years of burning I get < 1/2gal of ash in the cleanout. Only place with buildup is on the cap/mesh.

Place has oil backup furnace but it never gets used unless I'm away for more than 2 days

I install a tee pipe with a cap on that has a short chunk of exhust pipe my shop vac hooks too. Any soot or creosote that falls gets sucked right into the shop vac. When finished remove the cap and install a normal cap.

:D Al

I install a tee pipe with a cap on that has a short chunk of exhust pipe my shop vac hooks too. Any soot or creosote that falls gets sucked right into the shop vac. When finished remove the cap and install a normal cap.

:D Al

Not enough in the T-cleanout on mine to make a mess taking it off. Then I duct tape a a shopping bag on the T- before I plunge the pipe. It don't fill a shopping bag 1/2.

That is 1-2 years of burning ash, maple, beech and sole means of heating in zone 4.

BTW, lower elv near here, got crap for snow, 15 miles away, at 3000 ft they have > 4 feet.

I'm in the middle, roofs needed shoveling

Done with that . There are a lot stuff out there were you do it in the fall an done . I bought a Drolet there are other brands that will do this . Stop burning green wood .

All good ideas especially using the electric drill. I use the fiberglass rods and from the roof plunge down once then back up once a month. The cap needs cleaning always. I do a slow burn so more buildup of creosote. Thanks for the suggestion.
Same here except I clean with fiberglass rods from the top once a year in the fall. My 6/12 roof is pretty easy to manage. I have never had hardly any buildup at the cap and only a little dry fluff at the top of the pipe. It is way less than a cup of soot. I could do it less often, but I like the peace of mind knowing that there isn't a birds nest or something up there.

I have had bluebirds go in and die in my stove. None last year, but I had 2 birds the 2 years before last. I hate to see the smudges on the glass where they tried to get out. I assume they can't figure out how to fly back up. No nests yet.

Latest posts

Back