Favorite place for orchard nursery stock?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You and family would enjoy Mofga's seed and scion exchanges, held late March and early April. Fedco sells rootstocks there too, and with workshops to teach grafting. Next you know you have a affordable orchard.

Got a pollination tree

Established orchard. About 15 standards, some are pretty big, a few dwarfs, and a couple of crab apples.

Establised varieties of: peaches, pears, plums. Raspberries, blackberries, elderberries, 50-60 blueberrys, grapes, mullberries.

You and family would enjoy Mofga's seed and scion exchanges, held late March and early April. Fedco sells rootstocks there too, and with workshops to teach grafting. Next you know you have a affordable orchard.

I see they have something similar August 3 this summer, in Monroe. I'm about 5hrs drive from there. Might be an excuse to get up that way for some ocean fishing, or west branch Penobscot for salmon/trout. Thank's for telling me about them. https://www.maineheritageorchard.org/

My grandfather had quite an orchard from trees he grafted. There was one variety that had fruit almost twice the size of a grapefruit. He did a lot of cider. He would put up a few full size barrels of good hard stuff and break them out springtime for a friends and family party. My cousin still owns the farm. I should get some scions next spring.

Established orchard. About 15 standards, some are pretty big, a few dwarfs, and a couple of crab apples.

Establised varieties of: peaches, pears, plums. Raspberries, blackberries, elderberries, 50-60 blueberrys, grapes, mullberries.

I see they have something similar August 3 this summer, in Monroe. I'm about 5hrs drive from there. Might be an excuse to get up that way for some ocean fishing, or west branch Penobscot for salmon/trout. Thank's for telling me about them. https://www.maineheritageorchard.org/

My grandfather had quite an orchard from trees he grafted. There was one variety that had fruit almost twice the size of a grapefruit. He did a lot of cider. He would put up a few full size barrels of good hard stuff and break them out springtime for a friends and family party. My cousin still owns the farm. I should get some scions next spring.
Sounds like the orchard my Buddy has. Working there when I retire.
6th generation
52 kinda of apples. Tons of other fruit.
I love working in the orchards.

My grandfather had quite an orchard from trees he grafted. There was one variety that had fruit almost twice the size of a grapefruit. He did a lot of cider. He would put up a few full size barrels of good hard stuff and break them out springtime for a friends and family party. My cousin still owns the farm. I should get some scions next spring.[/QUOTE

I see in Monroe, is a privately owned orchard, but mofga certified, with a bud grafting workshop (mofga sponsored). Way to learn. Me, I've just been learning whip and toung and cleft grafting, meaning springtime (dormant) grafts. I'm working with ciderseed Apple and pear. Did buy fedco prune rootstocks. It's fun. Will need many/much scion in the spring. My father has what may be called a heritage orchard with ?50 or 75 variety apple. Your Grandfathers orchard should be preserved. I'd like to know what the large apple is. I'm thinking several barrel (50 gal. × 5), and cider pressing your doing well get 2.5 gal. per bushel, well that's 100 bushel yearly. Worth a respect I'd say. He had 25 tree minimum. Later.

My dad had an orchard for years with nothing but older apple species he got from Cornell’s Fruit Testing Station.
Boyer’s would get scions and my dad had their cooler to store his apples.
Have the complete set of the Fruits of NY.
If anyone wants to peruse them for a bit I am heading to Maine later in the year and could drop them off on the way up and pick them up on the way back

Adams County very very good.

Boyer Nursery also.

Cummins Nursery in the Finger Lakes region of NY might be closer to you and have some more unique selections.

In Berrien County Michigan there are a couple growers of Antique cultivars, they have some amazing catalogs. Sorry can't recall their names right now.

Back