Who's Making The Best Half Ton Truck???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not common at all. Around here a dealer rate is about 80-85. My hourly rate is nowhere near 40. Most guys around here top out around 25.

That was a common practice in the '60's and '70's though.
I was just using the $50 labor rate as an example. I believe most labor rates in this area are around $60 to $70 now. I have to stop by a dealer today actually. If I remember I'll look for the rate. My friends owned his own repair shop for the last four or five years now.

I am not sure what year they changed. I will give them this, they have the best GAS engine going right now! Still won't own one. I hate the fact that my next one will likely be a Dodge, but thats going to be a 3/4-1 ton, so it's not relevent here.

uh, negative batman....When My work truck broke, they sent in a 2004 ram 1500 with the 4.7 V8 in it as a temporary replacement until my new one showed up...Talk about a squishy azz work truck. The only thing I liked about it was the amount of cab room behind the seat was more than the chevy.

Of coarse my ext cab Dmax has all that and then some. I work on Cummins motors all day long (industrial) and they are a stout, reliable power plant, the truck it is in is less than desirable. I want my own Dmax now!!!!! I love this truck!

I have had problems with my silverado. The ummm, parking brake is lame and, umm thats it!:laugh:

I beat the snot out of mine with regularity, my favorite trick is blowing off tuner cars and older camaros.

Sometimes I think the ricers think I missed a shift with the revs these newer Vortechs get up to, the main thing I would like to change would be to get a Power programmer to raise and firm up the shift points, and get some helper springs for stunts like this.

Comfort, class, power, the Silverado is the way to go!

Mine has dusted a few too. The tow haul mode really firms up the shifts nicely. The one thing I like is that the GM has the firmest shifting tranny out of the box. That dodge I had, you could barely tell it shifted, just the rpms dropped. The ford slide-o-matics are just as bad

Mine has dusted a few too. The tow haul mode really firms up the shifts nicely. The one thing I like is that the GM has the firmest shifting tranny out of the box. That dodge I had, you could barely tell it shifted, just the rpms dropped. The ford slide-o-matics are just as bad
When my Dodge shifts you can definitely feel it. Mine has the Hemi, 5 speed auto and 3:92's.

How true! I like to go back a little further though. You'd need to buy at least a 3/4 ton to equal one of the old 1/2 tons.

Andy

It's probably because trucks have become more popular with people that don't use them as trucks, and then those folks whine that they drive and handle like trucks. So you now have a whole new batch of what I like to call girltrucks.

had a 1995 f150 300/5spd s/c truck was a puller .. not fast but never tell me no ... especially when loaded with a bed past the window full o green mesquite or 15 rr/ties.... or 1 1/2 pallets of st.augustine grass for the home... dont own a honda just thought i would thro that in fer arguments sake ... writing from beautiful sandy Iraq....

had a 1995 f150 300/5spd s/c truck was a puller .. not fast but never tell me no ... especially when loaded with a bed past the window full o green mesquite or 15 rr/ties.... or 1 1/2 pallets of st.augustine grass for the home... dont own a honda just thought i would thro that in fer arguments sake ... writing from beautiful sandy Iraq....

bbqman,
That's a 95 F-150 in my avatar. I like it a lot!

How true! I like to go back a little further though. You'd need to buy at least a 3/4 ton to equal one of the old 1/2 tons.

Andy

I'd love to get my hands on an old Army 5 quarter ton. About the size of most half tons, with a 5/4 payload, and it would climb a wall!

Not quickly, mind you, but it would climb it.

Hard to judge 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons going by payload. My Colorado has a 1500# payload capacity.

Personally Im split between Chevy and Ford.

My manager has one of those, 4x4 crew cab. we put about 800 pounds in the bed once.....He will never do that again.....!

Hope yours has a better suspension on it than his does....

:confused:

I put an 800 pound generator in my Nissan and hauled it a couple of hours, with no problem.

Last edited:
:puzzled:

I put an 800 pound generator in my Nissan and hauled it a couple of hours, with no problem.

Yeah, I miss my old ranger. Had a 4 wheel drive ext cab with the big six cylinder. Was great on gas if you drove it easy, had the capacity of a half ton and would tow my car and trailer to the race track. Still kick myself for getting rid of that, especially with the price of fuel lately. That truck haulled more firewood than all of my previous trucks combined!

Thought it needed repeating............

Can't say enough about my Tundra. If I were to buy a 3/4 or 1 ton It'd be a Chevy

And I forgot to add. By the time I need to replace my Tundra, Toyota will probably be making a 3/4, and 1 ton that will be even better.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

My manager has one of those, 4x4 crew cab. we put about 800 pounds in the bed once.....He will never do that again.....!

Hope yours has a better suspension on it than his does....

There was probably more weight behind the rear axle then over it. Those crew cabs dont give you allot of bedspace ahead of the rear axle.

Ive probably had close to 800 in the bed with no issues. But I dont usually use the bed for hauling anything, thats what the trailer is for.

Back