hemlock broken leader

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joea

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ihave arow of eastern hemlock i planted ss a hedge. one has a broken leader branch whick i splinted with acouple pencils and tie wraps. any hope to splint and bandage this for healing? If it was not the leader i would just trim it off.
Only about 3/8 thick.

Ihave arow of eastern hemlock i planted ss a hedge. one has a broken leader branch whick i splinted with acouple pencils and tie wraps. any hope to splint and bandage this for healing? If it was not the leader i would just trim it off.
Only about 3/8 thick.

Sorry for the poor posting. Done from my tablet, late. Here goes: I have a row of eastern (canadian?) hemlock i planted as a hedge. One suffered a a broken leader branch in a recent storm which I temporarily splinted with a couple of pencils and tie wraps. Is there any hope to help this heal? If it was not the leader i would just trim it off. But I do want it to grow a few feet taller. Leader is only about 3/8 thick.

It might be fine, depends on how much vascular damage there was. Not much else you can do, just wait and see. Don't leave the "splint" on too long. By that I mean a year or so, longer and you would need to adjust the tightness so you don't strangle the leader.

I concur with Oldmaple I repaired a dogwood but I made a sort of cable out of 2 small screw eyes and some cotton rope sinched the thing back together and duck taped the split area. I told the customer to take it off after the growing season. I ran into him 2 years after and asked if it survived. He said it did he said he forgot to take the rope and tape off but he remembered halfway through the next year and went out to take it off and the cotton cord already had broken and the tape was barely on the tree.

Back