Splitter Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's talk main cylinder pins. 1.5" diameter is what I'm needing. What's strong enough and what would y'all do. (Keep in mind I have bar stock on hand)
1. Plain bar stock.
2. Plain bar stock then case hardened.
3. Buy pins.

How wide outside of wheels is just right? I was planning on 66". I don't want to go too wide as i commonly use my UTV to pull the splitter and I was shooting for the same width. The lift just looks like it may be trying to pick up too far outside the wheelbase. The pic below for reference is not the final wheels I'm using and the offset is about an inch narrower than the final.
20180210_215257.jpg
Finally got the cylinder mounts welded in the pusher and the pin made for it. The rear mounts are mostly welded. Decided the axle placement. The axle will be 37" from the front of the wedge. Basically as close as I can get the tire to the lift...
20180210_215714.jpg
I also got the hydraulic tank mounts fabbed and welded in this weekend. Forgot to snap a pic afterwards. Tires should be here this week, then I will get the axle welded in. Once the axle is welded, I will work on the bottom side getting the wedge adjust cylinder mounted and fab the pivot mechanism. Also planned for this coming week is getting the motor mounted. We'll see what I actually get accomplished though... I've been kind lazy the last couple weeks!

If you are worried about the lift being out farther than the axle, just offset the axle towards the lift side a bit. nobody said the splitter beam has to be centered perfectly on the axle

If you want, you could make the axle adjustable so you have options. I used a heavy wagon axle that had it so I had options. I have it set out just narrower than what it pulling it so it tracks the same. Simple idea and design and you can use the same idea on other axle shapes.

MVC-019S_39.JPG

Been sick for just over a week. Not much progress made in a while, but I did get back out in the shop tonight.
Engine mount:
20180227_201015.jpg
Where I mounted the engine height wise, was going to put my pump inlet straight into the beam. So my options were to use an elbow on the suction or to re-drill my pump bracket so that it rotated the pump 30° CCW. Thats what i did. I set it up on the mill, swept for center, then drilled the pattern. As you can see in the last pic, the suction hose will go right under the beam to the tank with just a small arc in the hose.
20180227_190034.jpg 20180227_191509.jpg
20180227_191705.jpg

Been working on odds and ends. Got the receivers welded on each end so i can pull from either end. Got the log lift finished(maybe). Going to wait to see if I want to add plastic sheet to the upper part of the lift. I think I probably won't so that bark and what not can fall through.
20180314_215826.jpg
Fabbed up the out feed table using 1" 11ga square tube. I did deck it with the plastic.
20180317_210401.jpg
I have the return filter and plumbing done. Valves are fully mounted. Waiting on what I hope to be the final purchase to arrive from surplus center. All the hydraulic hoses and a few more fittings. I'm hoping to at least have this thing ready for a test run by the end of next weekend.

Well It's not the cleanest hydraulic routing, but it should work. The only part I'm not real happy with, is the 45 out of the vavle then making a 225° loop to the front of the main cylinder. However, I couldn't come up with a better way with out using a hard 90 at the front of the cylinder. The hose is right at the minimum bend radius.
20180319_212326.jpg 20180319_212314.jpg 20180319_212235.jpg 20180319_212158.jpg 20180319_212130.jpg

Looks like you and surplus center have become friends?
2 orders from them. I think they have me for 6-700 bucks in this. I quickly went through my spend sheet on this project earlier today. As always, I'm over budget. I was aiming to be in the $1500-1800 range, but I'm about $2250 so far. I think all purchases have been made, but will still have sandblasting and a paint job.

Absolutely a very very nice build. Why no suspension? If a pipe fitting is welded to the tank with some pipe it often will crack, but you have it supported so may be fine for years. How many cords do you plan to run through it. I started with a standard slide on the top of the I Beam, but it wore so fast so welded an extra 1/2'' strap underneath to give more wear surface even though I keep it oiled all the time. I still have to unbolt the wear bars and replace or rebuild them every few years. I had to eliminate log lifter because it was slow and got in the way, but it depends on the type of wood processing. I started using a winch with a ramp that can be moved for continuous use or once in a while. Most 200 lb rounds can easily be rolled to the cradle on a ramp with out getting in the way. You will enjoy using it much more because you put it together. The Surplus Center has always provided every thing I have ever needed. Thanks

Absolutely a very very nice build. Why no suspension? If a pipe fitting is welded to the tank with some pipe it often will crack, but you have it supported so may be fine for years. How many cords do you plan to run through it. I started with a standard slide on the top of the I Beam, but it wore so fast so welded an extra 1/2'' strap underneath to give more wear surface even though I keep it oiled all the time. I still have to unbolt the wear bars and replace or rebuild them every few years. I had to eliminate log lifter because it was slow and got in the way, but it depends on the type of wood processing. I started using a winch with a ramp that can be moved for continuous use or once in a while. Most 200 lb rounds can easily be rolled to the cradle on a ramp with out getting in the way. You will enjoy using it much more because you put it together. The Surplus Center has always provided every thing I have ever needed. Thanks

Back