Any Love for an old Clinton D35 "Chief"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PogoInTheWoods

Don't forget about the alligators...
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A buddy of mine was given one of these ol' beasts and is wondering if there's any worth to it for someone out there in chainsaw collector nutcase land.

Hell, from what I've been able to dig up here in the forums, most folks don't ever want to see one of these things ever again (let alone HEAR one again) cuz either Dad or Grandpa made em learn on one when they were 2 years old as a first experience back in the good ol' days when ya hadta cut wood b4 even learning how to drink beer er wipe yer own butt.

I've seen the saw and it looks mighty good for its age and supposedly runs. Can't vouch for the latter, but sure would like to hear it crank up to those whopping 4000 or so rpm's I've read about being louder than a Black Sabbath
concert.

So anyway, the guy is hoping for a coupla hundred bux for this thing and I told him I'd toss it out to the masses for what I assume will be a resounding, "Huh? Are you kidding?" (The guy has no Internet access or interest in it, so
asked me to float this out here on his behalf.)

What say ye, masses? Want one of the loudest saws ever manufactured just to say ya have one?

Ahem....

OK. I'll go now.

Thanks for any feedback not delivered by flaming arrow!:bowdown:

Poge

This is a test in order to see if Poge gets the alert and the email notification :D

I like the old Clinton saws. Yeah, they're loud, obnoxious and heavy. But what wasn't from that era. But I only gave $25 for mine. And shipping on that beast would be horrendous. Be lucky if he can give it away.

Thanks for the vid, Drew. That's pretty wild!

And yeah, the guy ended up realizing he wasn't gonna be making some kind o' major killing on the saw and actually still has it.

BTW, this thread was revived primarily as a testing platform for the ongoing issues with email/alert notifications some of us seem to be experiencing since it didn't get much exposure back in 2010 and wouldn't annoy too many folks if the admins actually get the notifications working correctly again.

Funny it's getting more response this time around!

I have read a lot about the Clinton D35 chainsaw in these forums and I have to agree they are the Loudest saw ever, although when one considers that the saw was introduced in 1959 it really isn't any louder than the ones it was in direct competition with; i.e: Stihl Lightning (1959) Iel RA (1956) or the pioneer 600 series saws which it has to be admitted were also quite loud as well. I know cause I have run all of them. (Thankfully I had the sense to wear hearing protection or I'd be as deaf as all the old guys who ran them back in the day....)

I have a D55, looks just the same, still running. It's a shelf queen until somebody wants to see it work then we throw some fuel in it.

crane - yours definitely looks a little tired, thanks for sharing.

Necro post we will.[emoji849]

D-35 from up around Lincoln, Neb.
8485d5ff0219ed1cf2352833c38c945c.jpg

cb03509ad92be7745bea6b24025b235a.jpg

Adapted a Tilly HL to eliminate the external Walbro fuel pump.
e4b5e7533c5ed4d7f48d12be31742c0a.jpg

That is a really nice example of the D35, for sure! I did the same carb change as well back when I was felling trees with mine. I had to, cause the fuel pump gave up, right in a stand of "second growth" timber.
I remember slogging down to the landing (3/4 of a mile) and picking up my back up saw, the pioneer 650, to finish the day. As I recall I think the donor carb came from a Stihl Lightning or a Stihl 070.

That is a really nice example of the D35, for sure! I did the same carb change as well back when I was felling trees with mine. I had to, cause the fuel pump gave up, right in a stand of "second growth" timber.
I remember slogging down to the landing (3/4 of a mile) and picking up my back up saw, the pioneer 650, to finish the day. As I recall I think the donor carb came from a Stihl Lightning or a Stihl 070.

Exactly what I used. A China clone for a 070/090. Machinest friend milled/drilled a port for an external impulse line. Swapped the throttle and choke shafts.

Took more than a little effort but worth it. [emoji108]
629083b98b1e819e7a9d221d22f37584.jpg

Latest posts

Back