Newb question for the pros here...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xrider

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just opened a new 28" husqvarna bar, and noticed the split in the end of the bar. Haven't had a bar this long before, but doesn't look normal. Emailed dealer with pics, and he said he opened all his bars that size, and they all had that, and wasn't sure why, but would email husky. Legit, or a story? Isn't centered, and paint is chipped off the inside of the slot. What do you all know? Thanks

Attachments

• signal-2018-03-26-141414_resized.jpg
    signal-2018-03-26-141414_resized.jpg
    621.2 KB · Views: 87
Shorter bars may not have the crack because they do not have as many vibes. Longer bars will likely have the crack as they're prone to more vibes.

Edit:
This is what I've been told from people who know more than me.

Someone is going to have to explain to me how that crack reduces vibrations when the bar is bolted against the engine. I'd be calling Husqvarna on this. That being said, I have bars that are open at the end of the slot and have seen no problems but a crack tells me there is or was stress in the bar. I'd like the mfg to confirm that it is OK to use with a chain that is spinning at 10K rpms.

I know in the saw mill where I was a filer we started buying our 24" cut off saws with a laser cut out in 4 places per saw. The reasoning was that at full operational run speed the harmonic resonance caused enough vibration for the saws to begin to crack. We had been having issues with cracked saws for years.The new laser spelled Lazer Cut (sic) saws were supposed to interrupt these harmonic vibrations and stop the saws from warping and cracking. They worked well and soon after we started buying all the saws that were available with the "laser cut outs" the cuts were shaped like a question mark at the north, south, east and west positions of each saw. That was back in 1988.

Does the the slot get wider at the split end? If not i would think its ok. If wider then yes ther was a lot of stress.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

I've seen this on many but not ALL longer Oregon bars.
Just checked my 36" PowerMatch and its solid at the back. Others have had the small gap.
Myself I wouldn't worry or question it.

I take back the post I made last night. I pulled out a new 24" husky bar and was looking at that. This morning I checked all my new Husky bars and found something different. When you're wrong, you're wrong and I'll admit it. The 16", 18", 20" and 24" Husky bars are all solid across the back. The 28", 32", and 36" Husky bars have a gap in the back so xriders new 28" Husky bar is probably fine.

Interesting. I've checked with the 20" and 24". Who would have thought.
Sorry for the misinformation.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about the size of the bar being entirely relative to whether the cut at the back is there or not there. Pictured below is the 14" bar from a Homelite XL that I have in my possession at the moment. It has the same thing I think you are referring to. Whether its the 36" Husky, or a 14" Homelite, they are manufactured and intended to be used that way. I've seen a ton with the relief cut and a ton without, but never pinpointed the who, what and why of it all? But, I don't think its based on bar manufacturer preference, unless it has to do with the metalurgy of the materials used to make the bar, so much as it has to do with saw manufacturer's recommendation (possibly for vibration characteristics). For the Homelite application of this style bar, the actual chainsaw mount is such that it fits into the relief cut, so I think it is more about bar positioning and security, than anit-vibe.
This bar in the photo is an Oregon bar, which we know does not produce all, or even the majority of their bars with the relief cut.

IMG_20180329_094044[1].jpg

This is a little off subject but in the past a lot of timber fallers in this part of the country cut the back of their bars out. This was so they could remove their motor easier if they had a tree set back on their bar. The older saws all had the sprocket inside the clutch. If you had a setback that looked dangerous you could remove your side cover, give your chain a couple whacks with your falling axe and remove your motor.
Lots of motors saved that way.

Interesting stuff, thanks all for the information! The dealer said that husqvarna tech rep told him it's part of the manufacturing process to cut the slot on the longer bars? Don't know why it would be any different than cutting a slot on a shorter bar, but I've found pics of it by googling around more, so here's hoping its not a big deal. What threw me was that it's off center, and pretty thin and rough looking inside with no paint at the end of the slot.

Latest posts

Back