365XT 2166 Transfer Cover Mod, do you replace the cylinder gasket?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsell

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
New 2166 never fueled and I want to modify the transfer covers while it's clean. How much has to come apart to pull them? Do you just lift the cylinder enough to pull the covers, leaving the piston in the cylinder? What are the torque specs on the cylinder screws and transfer screws? Do you change the cylinder base gasket? I'm not going to remove it to reduce squish. I searched and see this was discussed in general a lot, but I didn't find a thread that answered my questions. One thread pointed to a youtube video, but the cylinder is completely off the saw. I have a T20 security bit. Thanks

j5.jpgj6.jpgj4.jpgj3.jpgj1.jpg j2.jpg

When I did mine with help from this site I didn’t replace the gasket. I positioned the piston to the top, lifted the cylinder enough to remove the covers. You have to disconnect the carb from linkage to lift the cylinder.

When I did mine with help from this site I didn’t replace the gasket. I positioned the piston to the top, lifted the cylinder enough to remove the covers. You have to disconnect the carb from linkage to lift the cylinder.
Did you have to unhook any hoses?

I disconnected the intake boot from the cylinder, didn’t have to take any hoses off.

I've been debating on whether or not to do mine. Honestly, it's had more then enough power for everything I've used it for so far.

NYH1.

I hate to take my first new saw apart, but it seems this is the best time to do it while the gaskets/hoses are fresh and it's not covered in saw dust and oil. I assume you just pull the two lower screws connecting the muffler to the crankcase, leaving the muffler attached to the cylinder.

I took mine off, I could see when the piston was up plus I think for clearance on the chain brake handle.

I took mine off, I could see when the piston was up plus I think for clearance on the chain brake handle.
Do you know the torque specs for all the screws involved?
cylinder
side transfers
muffler to case
muffler to cylinder

I don’t have them now, I looked them up online. Only have one 2166 so I didn’t save them.

This is from an old 372 work shop manual,

Muffler, Tighten the two M6-bolts to 14 Nm. Tighten the two M5-bolts to 10 Nm.

Fit the four cylinder bolts and tighten them in rotation. Finally, tighten them to 10 Nm.

My local Stihl tech did this mod to his 2166 saw and said he could not feel the difference.

So I thought that I'd go old school with a 75cc p/c swap. Got the parts and a 2166 nib but stalled on the project for now.

My local Stihl tech did this mod to his 2166 saw and said he could not feel the difference.

So I thought that I'd go old school with a 75cc p/c swap. Got the parts and a 2166 nib but stalled on the project for now.
To be honest, I never ran the saw when I got it but I do know that it is a cutting animal now. Can’t definitely say it’s because of the transfer port mod but it is an impressive saw. Trouble is it isn’t blue.

To be honest, I never ran the saw when I got it but I do know that it is a cutting animal now. Can’t definitely say it’s because of the transfer port mod but it is an impressive saw. Trouble is it isn’t blue.
I gave up on blue. I loved my 6401 until it started giving me fits on warm restarts. I suspect the coil was going out and they are expensive. I fried my 401, guessing a crank seal went out. I'm red, orange and green now like a stop light.

CS2166 Modification
https://cs2166modification.shutterfly.com/

The PTO and muffler side cylinder screw would not come out because the head hit the M6 muffler screw that I didn't remove.

The orings had some type of black sealant holding them to the transfer covers. I used 1194 to hold them in place.

If you do it the way I show, remove the flywheel side, bottom two transfer cover screws before you lift the cylinder.

I did not loosen the muffler to cylinder screws.

I did not remove any hoses, intake clamp, or throttle linkage.

The burrs and Dremel sanding drum didn't work well. It would be nice if someone posted a good tool to use to remove the baffle from the transfer covers.

I torqued the cylinder screws and muffler to case screws, but none of the others. I need to get a torque screwdriver.

There seemed to be some type of sealant around the cylinder base. Not sure if they just held it in place with some sealant or the bottom of the gasket has sealant.

This took me 3 hours.

Back