Upgrades to Echo CS-590

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+2, it will work, but I'd look at the IPL's for both saws to make sure you have the correct hardware to mount the full wrap handle. I didn't look at mine but I'm pretty sure it will use different screws and other associated parts.......Cliff
Ok thanks for the responses, guys. When I spoke with the woman at Echo she said there is a mounting piece/kit I would need but they dont sell it for my saw. I dont mind buying what I need to make it work.

What is an IPL?

Here is a link to your saw and IPL's. An IPL is an illustrated parts list so picture and part number, availability and price, etc.

I just used this company as a reference, there are many others doing the same thing and folks on this site that sell Echo parts, etc.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/search/models/?searchTerm=cs-590

Of course the full wrap handle not being offered as an option may not show up in any of those IPL's, so you'll have to look up what a CS-620 used and go with those part numbers instead......Cliff

Here is a link to your saw and IPL's. An IPL is an illustrated parts list so picture and part number, availability and price, etc.

I just used this company as a reference, there are many others doing the same thing and folks on this site that sell Echo parts, etc.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/search/models/?searchTerm=cs-590

Of course the full wrap handle not being offered as an option may not show up in any of those IPL's, so you'll have to look up what a CS-620 used and go with those part numbers instead......Cliff

Awesome, Thanks Cliff. When we upgraded our Husky 365 to a full wrap and oversized dogs I just called Baileys and they found me a kit for the 372XP for around $30. Our Stihl 460 on the other hand, the full wrap was over $100 and dogs were about $30. Its too bad Echo doesn't have the aftermarket support that Stihl and Husky have.

So, I ordered whatever parts that were not currently on the 590 that were necessary to mount the full wrap handle.
I will post a comprehensive list of parts needed to install the full wrap on a 590 once I receive them and confirm that they work.

I was planning on buying a Timberwolf for my next saw but now thinking of the next model up with the full wrap handle. Am looking forward to your comments if the parts fit and your review on the saw with the handle installed

I was planning on buying a Timberwolf for my next saw but now thinking of the next model up with the full wrap handle. Am looking forward to your comments if the parts fit and your review on the saw with the handle installed

If I had to do it over again I'd just buy the 620 with the full wrap. I have already invested over $200 in improvements to the saw that I would have got if I just bought the 620PW. I paid $400 for the 590 from Forestry Suppliers and added a 24" oregon power match with chain ($90 w/shipping from Baileys) and now a full wrap for $130 or so with shipping.

If I had to do it over again I'd just buy the 620 with the full wrap. I have already invested over $200 in improvements to the saw that I would have got if I just bought the 620PW. I paid $400 for the 590 from Forestry Suppliers and added a 24" oregon power match with chain ($90 w/shipping from Baileys) and now a full wrap for $130 or so with shipping.

Thanks for the advice. Guess my next saw will now be the 620. I was already planning on the 24 inch bar.

Thanks for the advice. Guess my next saw will now be the 620.
I guess it really depends on what you are doing with it. If you are just cutting firewood the 590 is a great saw for the money.

If you want to practice more advanced technical falling and cutting techniques then get the 620pw. Personally and professionally I would like to improve my saw skills and gain a more advanced sawyer certification for wildland fire and fuels mitigation work. Ive been a Faller A for the past 10 years and would like to have a B certification for my red card.

Just an update on mufflers...

My 620P muffler 90* was spot welded on. Dremel took care of that very quickly. It's amazing that a little piece of metal can slow a good saw down so much...

If you get the 620, go ahead and get the 27" bar. Then call @fordf150 for the stihl bar adapter and get a 20" bar and chains. Far cheaper this way and you now have more options for bars, you have saved money and supported a good member of this forum!

I’m guessing but I was thinking @svk had a pic posted of a full wrap on a 590. Since I tagged him we’ll find out.

Just curious why go through the hassle of converting to a Stihl bar/chain? What sort of benefits over an Oregon or other brand that already makes a bar that readily fits the Echo?

side note: Seems like lots of PA folks on here. Originally from NEPA, myself.

Just curious why go through the hassle of converting to a Stihl bar/chain? What sort of benefits over an Oregon or other brand that already makes a bar that readily fits the Echo?

side note: Seems like lots of PA folks on here. Originally from NEPA, myself.
its not converting to "stihl brand" bar and chain just stihl mount bar.

echo uses a weird bar mount that limits your options for bars to echo branded oregon bars or oregon bars and the corresponding odd drive link counts.

using a bar adapter and stihl mount bar opens your options up dramatically on brands and styles of bars you can run while also giving you standard drive link counts for the chain.

best example of the reason for doing this is on a 20" bar.

D176 mount takes a 70DL chain which i sell for $15.40 now switch that out to running a bar adapter($12) and lets go with a Tsumura bar($44) and the corresponding 72DL chain $13.49. notice thats a $2 savings on every chain you buy plus the ability to buy a Tsumura bar that isnt available in the echo D176 mount.

From what I've read on another page, the 620 has two rings, 590 only one, and echo dropped the 600 from the lineup

I forget which member here did it but they used a 372 wrap that just needed a hole or two drilled.

He basically just makes a plate to bolt from the original bolt hole to the 372 full wrap from what I remember. I have a 372 half wrap from hutzl that I won on eBay for $8 and then I bent/ trimmed to fit mine mine. Kinda wanting a full wrap now though lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

its not converting to "stihl brand" bar and chain just stihl mount bar.

echo uses a weird bar mount that limits your options for bars to echo branded oregon bars or oregon bars and the corresponding odd drive link counts.

using a bar adapter and stihl mount bar opens your options up dramatically on brands and styles of bars you can run while also giving you standard drive link counts for the chain.

best example of the reason for doing this is on a 20" bar.

D176 mount takes a 70DL chain which i sell for $15.40 now switch that out to running a bar adapter($12) and lets go with a Tsumura bar($44) and the corresponding 72DL chain $13.49. notice thats a $2 savings on every chain you buy plus the ability to buy a Tsumura bar that isnt available in the echo D176 mount.
Got it, thanks.

Latest posts

Back