Dolmar 5105 carburetor adjust?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I might have to look and risk the warranty, once I go to BC. For now I'm just going to work it and see how it goes.

Thanks for the info.

I am going to talk to the dealer, and Makita if needed. I want a solution to adjusting. I'm not bringing my saw in for adjustment every time I change elevation, or when it just needs it. I'm also not going to let them walk on the warranty. I can get a kit from amazon with a bunch of different carb adjust tools for $20, including D and double D.
I bought 3 of these with heat. Nice saws with good power, and a good price. I hope it was worth saving a $ couple hundred over 261 c-m, without heat.

I am going to talk to the dealer, and Makita if needed. I want a solution to adjusting. I'm not bringing my saw in for adjustment every time I change elevation, or when it just needs it. I'm also not going to let them walk on the warranty. I can get a kit from amazon with a bunch of different carb adjust tools for $20, including D and double D.
I bought 3 of these with heat. Nice saws with good power, and a good price. I hope it was worth saving a $ couple hundred over 261 c-m, without heat.

Yes, but how does the dealer deal with the epoxy? I'm sure he doesn't have a magic screwdriver that mysteriously penetrates the epoxy and tunes carb, whilst leaving the epoxy intact so the owner of the saw is unable to adjust it.

I'd just like to see what the Dolmar service manual says for the dealer to do with the epoxy when they are required to adjust the carb.

These are great saws. IMHO, I wouldn't trade for the Stihl if someone offered.

AIFAO1, Mine does not have epoxy, just black caps.
My concern is keeping tuned at various elevations, after some use, etc, and not wasting time and money running back and forth to a dealer for adjustments I can do myself, just for warranty to stay intact. It appears that tampering will be apparent just popping the caps.

Why not take you carb off, take the H needle out and cut a groove in it for a flat screw driver with a Dremel and not worry about the special tool.....that’s what I do on my saws and if requested on others.

I would have no problem doing something like that, but while in 2 year warranty, I don't want to mess with it much. I will buy $20 worth of tools, but do not want to be running all over just to get a dealer to adjust, when I can.

There is way too much bad info on this thread.

There are 3 types of carbs that came on Factory Dolmar PS-5105 models.

#1 is like the 5100s carburetor. Plastic limiter caps & regular screwdriver adjustments.

#2 is the Epoxy filled carb. This was only used for a few months production. Under the epoxy is screwdriver head screws. If your saw is under warranty and has a carb issue factory will warranty carbs for you.

#3 is the Double D carb. This takes a special tool that is illegal for dealers to sell by the EPA. There are no caps on this. What you see is the actual adjustment screw without a slot for a screwdriver. It's not rocket science to figure out how to turn this screw.

The best option for any saw in this series is to buy a C1Q-DM13B. Google the number or have your dealer order this carb. It's the best running carb for a PS-460, PS-510, PS-5100S, PS-5105 and the Makita equivalents.

Yes, thanks 166, for us who don't know the pictures say more then a thousand words.

All 3 of the saws I bought are #3 the DD adjust. My buddies have used theirs, and both are very impressed. One said he changed out the safety chain right away, and it cuts like a high speed tank.
I got to try mine today, and pushing it thru big white frozen poplar, it was like it barely even noticed I was leaning on it. I'm impressed. It has the 18" which is 17" 3/8 bar and I changed the chain, before I even fired it up. The stock chain will be back up. It did get hot though,,,, 5105 exhaust I'm sure. I would like to fix the exhaust, but am not going to play with warranty.
I'm going to buy the carb adjust tool kit from amazon, and a tach, and I should be good till warranty ends. Then I think a 5100 exhaust, and maybe that DM-13B carb, if the stock one has any hickups. With exhaust and carb, it will still be $hundreds under the 261, or 550, with heat, and I think just as good, and will work for the kids long after I can't cut firewood. I'm sure the auto adjust carbs are great, but to me, more stuff to go wrong, just like the cars these days.
I'm happy I fell into this deal.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went to the dealer this morning.

I was speaking to one guy about the dealer only carb adjustment, and the heat coming from the cat muffler, which I wanted to change for a 5100s muffler. I was not getting anywhere, which I can't blame the guy for, then another guy stepped in.
His attitude was that the cat mufflers cause problems resulting in un needed parts and repairs, and that all these extra parts building, shipping, and fixing are probably worse for the environment, then a good exhaust. Not to mention owner grief. He also said that the average guy has caused many of his own problems, by not knowing, and adjusting carbs improperly, and this is part of the problems that they see regularly. He actually made sense to me. I told him that I have adjusted my 2 stroke stuff for years.

His solution while in warranty, and I liked it. He wants to make sure I can adjust the saw properly, before I touch it, and he gave me a brand new DD tool for free. Bonus!

--Run only premium gas, and quality synthetic oil. Which I do anyway. (Shell v power has no ethanol here :) It goes in everything.
--Have a tach
--Run saw for 10-20 tanks, bring it in for an adjustment.
He will let me watch the tech adjust. I don't mind at all.
--Run saw for another 10-20 tanks. Another adjustment, and I can watch him again.
--Run the saw until cat muffler looks used
-- Buy a 5100s muffler, install it on saw, adjust the carb, and keep cat muffler.
-- If any warranty work needed, (which he doubted) put cat muffler back on before bringing in.

I know the 5100 muffler won't soup up these saws, and I don't mind. It's gutsy enough for me. It will help it run better and cooler. I have the tool to adjust the carb now. The warranty stays intact.

I can't ask for more then that.

Latest posts

Back