Anybody running the Chinese Stihl knockoffs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canyon Angler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've seen what appear to be Chinese Stihl clones for sale online. Is anyone running them? Any good?

Somewhere along the line, I saw a thread talking about someone who was getting the Chicom Stihl knockoffs, then replacing the parts that were substandard and/or critical and then reselling them...can anyone direct me to that thread or person? Or, can anyone tell me which parts on these saws should be replaced with Stihl OEM?

Thanks in advance.

h@l supply sells them... and you can check them out on u-tube........... walt@afleetcommand... likes how they run for the money...I have never tried them ... the chain adjuster is weak among other parts .... they are ( for sail ) ...on e-bay for 600-700 $ complete w/bar and chain ...oem is the way to go of course ........

A guy on Facebook has them
For 500.00 i think
With a 2 year warranty lol
Walt's built many and likes them.
I've only messed with the 372 clones
I run them all the time.
Never needed a 660 i have 288s

Thanks for the replies.

I see there's a guy on ebay who goes by the name "TheChainsawGuy" in Black Creek, British Columbia, who's selling what appear to be clones. He's got some 660s that he says "have a few OEM new parts but mostly aftermarket with a New Meteor piston and cylinder. 92 cc's. Runs excellent. Meteor is made in Italy and very good quality and Caber rings. Compression in the 170lbs range."

This sounds like about what I'm looking for. Is he here on Arboristsite?

Thanks,

Jeff

there is some guy here in NC that always has these knockoff's for sale - MS660 for new for $650??? I got tired of blocking them or making competing adds regarding their in-authenticity.

Same price here on craigslist for them,the guy at least mentions they are Chinese knockoffs.

I bought an MS380 knockoff from DHgate.com I have also bought an 090 and a 372 clone from them. They ship direct from China, and are a bit cheaper than stateside pricing. I immediately put big bore kits on the 090 (it is an MS070 clone) and the 372XP (it comes as a 365). The 372xp really rips with the big bore kit, and that is the only one I have used for more than a couple cuts. I just really bought them to check them out, and I can't imagine actually running them daily. Not only is it a bad investment, but there is a moral issue there. Right now the biggest gripe with Trump and China is intellectual property theft, and these saws fall 100% in this category. The Chinese have stolen intellectual property from Stihl and Husqvarna and are making a profit off it.

To put things in perspective, I also own 2 372XPW's, an 038 Magnum, a real 090, and a real 090G. All these I would run first. The knockoffs are great to loan to my brother in law when he needs a saw to break, lol.

I have also scoured DHgate for legitimate Chinese brand saws, and actually bought one. Now those are real POS saws, so don't waste your time.

I like my chinese 660 for what it is. Got in for $200 in a group buy. Half a day of time to put it together (then machine work and porting :D). And it runs really well i think. I replaced the wrist pin bearing and circlips with oem stihl, and got a used oem decomp valve. Other than that its all chinese. The chain adjuster on mine has gotten a lot less crunchy than it was initially. I dont have any illusions about it, ya get what ya pay for.

Im just curious to build one, been eyeing them but haven’t pulled that trigger yet. It would be “the loaner” if a friend needs a saw ;)

Echo is fine up to any size bar if you buy their 1201. A beautiful solid machine that can be got from Robin on here

I like my chinese 660 for what it is. Got in for $200 in a group buy. Half a day of time to put it together (then machine work and porting :D). And it runs really well i think. I replaced the wrist pin bearing and circlips with oem stihl, and got a used oem decomp valve. Other than that its all chinese. The chain adjuster on mine has gotten a lot less crunchy than it was initially. I dont have any illusions about it, ya get what ya pay for.
Its a shame that there are still people who cannot afford a proper chainsaw.....

Latest posts

Back