Crock Pot Recipes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah overnight would be good. Or mix all the ingredients the night before and store the covered crock in the fridge then throw it on low in the morning before work.

I like to chill my slow cooked food after it's been cooked then reheat. Seems to let the flavors mix better.

Yeah overnight would be good. Or mix all the ingredients the night before and store the covered crock in the fridge then throw it on low in the morning before work.

I like to chill my slow cooked food after it's been cooked then reheat. Seems to let the flavors mix better.
Will give it a try thank you sir

Im going to start it today around five on low. Then ill turn it off at 3 tommrow put in the frige till cold then reheat and eat.. only thing im doing diffrent is adding a pinch of garlic. I was thinking of cubeing up a venison roast for some of the meat and throwing the bone in the crockpot and discarding before i chill it. What do you think about that? @svk Wonder if it would benefit?

And it starts.. :)
1510436333815-531997965.jpg

Im going to start it today around five on low. Then ill turn it off at 3 tommrow put in the frige till cold then reheat and eat.. only thing im doing diffrent is adding a pinch of garlic. I was thinking of cubeing up a venison roast for some of the meat and throwing the bone in the crockpot and discarding before i chill it. What do you think about that? @svk Wonder if it would benefit?
Sorry I just saw this!

I have never cooked with venison bones. We used to do bone in steaks with elk when my dad was alive and they were excellent.

Did some wild rice soup last night for lunch today and tomorrow.

Wild rice
Crumbled Jimmy Dean hot sausage
Onion
Carrots
Celery
Cream of mushroom soup
American cheese.

Cooked it in the Dutch oven for about two hours. Vegetables were tender but solid.

IMG_0598.JPG

Frustrated this morning. Yesterday at lunch I forgot to put the Dutch oven back outside and it sat inside from 11am to 5:30 am this morning. It's a shame to waste but that's a long time to sit at room temp

Cooked the last of my venison steaks into stew tonight, same recipe as last time but no wild rice. Threw it into the pressure cooker for two hours. It's good but that wild rice adds a dimension.

IMG_0691.JPG

My favorite crockpot recipe is to toss in a 2-3# brisket. Then mix 2 jars of Heinz chili sauce with a packet of onion soup mix and pour it over the brisket. Then you just cook it on low for 8-10 hours. You pull the brisket out and you almost can't even cut it before it all just falls apart. This is great in sandwiches or over rice, stuffing, smashed potatoes and the sauce is REALLY rich. Just don't try scraping off the little bit at the top as it's usually well on it's way to being pure carbon.
I also will sometimes make a really absurdly easy chicken & stuffing somethingorother that generally turns out pretty well. You dump a box of Stovetop in the crock pot, then a can of peas (I personally prefer LaSueur) then cover it all up with chicken breasts (single layer usually 3 or 4) then dump in a can of cream of chicken (cream of mushroom even cheddar & broccoli works) and then the recipe said to dump in a can of wine :nofunny: but I've always just used broth, or even water could work too. Then whatever temp you set it on keep the time on the low side (8-10 hours on low, pull it at 8 hours, or even before otherwise the stuffing on the bottom can get scorched) and you're done, I was actually surprised by how well this can turn out.
For after dinner get some cans of sweetened condensed milk and toss them in the slow cooker and cover with an inch or two of water. Then you turn the slow cooker on low and pull them at 8ish hours. That's it, crack the lid and you've got dulce de leche. You may need to play with the times on this some depending on your slow cooker and how you like it. If you pull them around 6 or 7 hours you'll get a thinner caramel and the longer you leave it the thicker they get. I like mixing a tablespoon or two of this in when making rice crispy treats.
ETA: I can't believe I forgot about pork butt! You just get the biggest one you can fit in your crock pot, slice a whole onion and cover the bottom of the crock pot with it. Then stick a couple (4-8ish) cloves in the pork butt and toss it in and cover it with another whole sliced onion. Then you add enough water to cover everything (I also like to put in a cup or so of apple cider vinegar) and put it on low for AT LEAST 10 hours. Seriously, you do NOT want to rush this. You want all the fats, gelatin and what all from the bones, fat and connective tissues to cook out and just saturate the meat. Seriously, if you're going to try and rush this don't even bother trying as you will NOT like the results. Then once everything has cooked for AT LEAST 10 hours (12+ hours overnight won't hurt it in the slightest) you dump out the liquid and the onions and don't forget to pick out the same number of cloves as you put in. The meat should be ready to just slough off the bones at this point but you may need to give it some time to cool so you don't burn yourself. Then just pull it all apart. The meat gets smooshed (that's all it takes to shred it), fat, skin & bones go with the onions & cloves and you're left with a mess of beautiful pulled pork. You can eat it as is, the onions, cloves and vinegar give it a nice mild flavor but really this is a great base for all kinds of pulled pork. Personally I like tossing some back in with a bottle of BBQ sauce and giving it a couple hours on low to get the flavor cooked into it. Then having it on a roll with some pickles and coleslaw. I also like mixing in taco seasoning, it's no al pastor but it's a damn sight better than anything you're likely to get at Taco bell.

Back