460 rebuild gone south

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xrockdawgx

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I started this as a time killer project. Now thinking of tossing it. Here's what it is and what's been done:
Husqvarna 460 rancher
Replaced:
Fuel filter
ALL fuel lines
Carburetor (Walbro WTEA-1-1)
Baffles
Induction(intake) manifold and flange
Cylinder
Piston
Crank
Connecting rod
Bearings
ALL seals
Exhaust manifold gasket
Air filter

Passes compression and vacuum test.
Starts and runs great until it starts getting warm. Once warm it dies with little/no warming. Also starts pissing bar oil out the bottom. Spark plug says it' running a bit rich.
Ideas? Thoughts? Comments?

Forgot to mention fuel tank vent was also replaced.
It will start and run again after setting for 45 minutes or more. Any sooner and it' an exercise in futility.
BTW, South East Georgia. Elevation @100 ft. Humidity 75% temperature 73° and on the climb. Coil has not been replaced. It was replaced @ 3 years/40 hours of run time ago.
Also, muffler took a bath and spark arrestor is clean.

Oil tank being pressured from some where
Check lead wire for braking down
Change plug
Pressure test should hold. For at least 5 mins

Valley fire wood, not to worry, in ill be back in the matsu before the end of summer. Kinda why I'm considering tossing this 460 and focusing on packing up the fam and making the drive. Again..

There is something more going in here. I let it set for a good week and now it' acting irratic. May start on the 1st pull, may take 20 pulls. May run for 5 seconds, may idle for 10 minutes, may cut for a solid 5. In the end it keeps shutting down with no indicators.
The weather has been pretty much the same when running it.
Haven't gotten around to another ignition yet. Not sure I wanna throw more $$ at it. Wondering if the $$ is worth satisfying my curiosity.

Mettee,
I am in South East Georgia and just got put on orders to Alaska. Guess they didn't have any place further away to send me. Anyway, the probability of this saw going away s very high.
Coil or bad lead wire or air leak witch with it being a clamshell saw I know the base is a pain in the ear sometimes to get a good seal on them.

Mettee,
I am in South East Georgia and just got put on orders to Alaska. Guess they didn't have any place further away to send me. Anyway, the probability of this saw going away s very high.

What is here in the MatSu that you'd get orders to?

wondering about a short in the switch or wire for the switch? shutting off without warning is usually water hitting the plug or hot wire arc or switch. sometimes wet sawdust around the coil and lead prong on some models like 262. have you checked for spark when you can't get it to run? and have you changed the plug....may be failing? coil gap, as well tight. Is wire in all the way? oem coil?

Valley- How could you not know that's what it's called these days if you knew what I was referring to ?;) The BRAC happened in 2005 and it became official JBER in 2010.

Westboast- the coil was not a part of this rebuild as it was replaced sometime ago, OEM part. New plug. I have not done a continuity check on the wires yet. I put dielectric grease on pretty much any electrictcal connection on almost anything I work on.

Off topic, but holy smokes, 73* in April! It's 22* here!

We hit 81 degrees the other day...

OP...I've got a similar problem on a little Echo top handle. I'm thinking either loss of compression when hot or coil. Re-ringing it this week, so I'll also replace the tank vent.

If those two (cheapest) don't fix it, I'll replace the coil. It belongs to a friend, and he wants the rings done anyways.

I see you replaced the P&C, so probably tank vent or coil on your saw.

Cheers,
Dan

Back