lets see pics of homemade log splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old School Nut, Thanks for the good ideas. I'll let you know when I come up with something to get your comments. Don't expect anything soon though (remember I'm slow).

more pix of the creation

ok patrick, but I bet all the welding was worth it, now the big question! how fast can you go, and is it road legal? or havent the cops caught you yet to find out??? :D :D

more seriously, got any more pics?

More pix off my cell today... Road legal? Maybe as a slow tractor. Brisk walking speed if I crank up the rpm. Fun is loading it on the trailer. It slips into creeper mode until up then takes off again! As for the police, they are present when I run main street on the 4th... I plan to do it again this year :cheers:
threeway.jpg

FourwayB.jpg

singleblade.jpg

Oh, that is the stupid strap on the phone case, not my big thumb in the way

-Pat

Reply to Patrick

Pactrick, Nice machine. Lots of clever things like the wedge and the powered axle. Love the clean, neat fabrication. I bet you spent some serious hours designing and building this one. Looks great.

More pix off my cell today...

-Pat

Patrick, your cell phone takes some nice pictures I think considering its a phone... some people cant get pictures like that with 35mm.... :)

I see you have something hooked up to your valve, which made something click in my head, isn't that something you rigged up to limit cylinder stroke on the return? seams I remember reading about that be4 I was a member, must have been you, its not something you see very often. but I think that splitter had a wisconsin engine in her .......

I really do like your "scalloped" 3 way wedge idea and how you swap wedges, looks like they slide right in, then i assume you pin it with a hitch pin or something?

interesting splitter....

-Leo-

18" kickout.

The linkage is for the kickout at 18" works like a charm. Yes there are photo's of that somewhere....

Engine was a 2 cyl continental (mil spec) that "almost" had enough power.

blades slide right in and fit fairly tight. No pin, where is it gonna go? I welded the socket in like I never expect to change it. It is probably stronger than simply welding something to the beam.

The scalloped 3 way is a winner. Starts easy, splits well, and the wood doesn't try to escape too much. I will probably re-do my 4way eventually.

Thanks for the compliments!! :rock:
-Pat

logsplitter 4 cyl hercules powered flathead

Here is a pic of my splitter. Powerplant is a 4cyl hercules flathead.

Reply to Stun007

Stun007, WOW, that looks like an industrial strength unit. Thanks for the picture. I like the boom lift. Can you give details on pump size, cylinder size, hose size, etc.

Looks like a cordwood saw in the foreground? Any detail for that?

Buzz saw photo

Here is one of the buzz saw. I really don't know alot about the splitters specs as I bought it like it is from a local farmer. Not sure who built it. Engine is a Hercules ZXB, was used on generators/welders also. I had to rebuild the mag on it and carb to get it running. Main jet was drilled out at some point in life and was flooding out the engine, so I drilled it out and tapped it for Mikuni jets for motorcycles and played around with different sizes till I got it right. I think the hose size is 3/4" to the splitter and 1/2" to the lift. I will try to get some more pics with a little detail this weekend.

Nice splitters! Here's a pic of mine. My father built it in 1980, it's a pto powered 21 gpm 3 point hitch mount rig. It split 2 cord per day for 10 years or so, then he retired from full time fire wood and was used just for our own wood, 15-20 cord a year. I rebuilt it and put a new pump on, as the old pto pump was about done. When we get into big stuff I have a friend run it while I feed it with the excavator.

Reply to Stun007

Stun007,

Nice looking cordwood saw. If it see it right, you slide the log rest toward the back of the trailer, put a log on it and then push it forward to cut off. Looks effective. What motor is that? What speed do you run the blade at? You might want to look at the link below as there was a long discussion on cordwood saws with emphasis on safety.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=45233

Reply to Atgreene

Atgreene,

It’s a little difficult to see the detail of the splitter but it certainly looks effective with all the good sized chucks of wood you have split there. The “log lift” is a bit of over kill but I’m sure it's very effective. You certainly won’t have any problem doing 20 cords a year with that set-up. Nice unit.

It does work great, and the excavator is a lot easier than haisting logs. I tell my helper to run the lever, I'll do the rest. Some day I'll put a remote control on the splitter valve and be able to run it from the cab of the excavator.:D

Here's a pic of my welder building the 4 way wedge.

Another of it in action. Has anyone got an auto valve that will do both forward and reverse cycle by throwing the handle just once? I know auto return is common, but I want a complete cycle and was wondering how they work out.

reply to atgreene

AtGreene,

Nice set up. I bet nobody even breaks a sweat doing wood. I guess it only warms you once. I'm jealous.

man !

More pix off my cell today... Road legal? Maybe as a slow tractor. Brisk walking speed if I crank up the rpm. Fun is loading it on the trailer. It slips into creeper mode until up then takes off again! As for the police, they are present when I run main street on the 4th... I plan to do it again this year :cheers:
threeway.jpg

FourwayB.jpg

singleblade.jpg

-Pat

nice ride man! how fast? is it powerful split ? (good job !) looks good

more pix of the creation

threeway.jpg

FourwayB.jpg

singleblade.jpg

-Pat
What is the round bowl-like basket for? Also, I did a quick search and didn't see any videos.

Back