Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,

Finally starting to feel human again. We had to rush back to MN as my mother had took a turn for the worse. She is stabilized now and will be rehabbing in the nursing home for the next 6 weeks. The kids basically will miss a whole week of school but they are enjoying themselves even though the weather has been cold and snowy.

I am going to work on cleaning the garage this weekend as there is still lots of snow in the woods but maybe next weekend I can start working on the 4 cord order I have.

View attachment 647310 View attachment 647308 While I’m not scrounging, I’ve been keeping myself busy polishing this turd. A little 12’ sea king.
Jeff, I think you have the same model tool box that I have. The one with three small drawers across the top, so many manuals, tubes of caulk, clamps, drop lights, etc, that the lid won't close, and I thought I had the only one.

View attachment 647323 Craiglist find from a local tree trimmer...BIG ONE'S on the bottom.....90% locust...think I was a little over loaded
That's what I'm talking about, doesn't get much better unless their paying you to remove it :).
Looks like locust :sweet:, what we call ironwood :surprised3:, and spruce :eek:.
I got a little scrounge of some box elder, I've heard it's in the maple family, but I'm pretty sure it's in the spruce family:lol:.
The great thing is I was told they would pay me to take it away, all I had to do was to have insurance and remove it from the roof :D.
Since my suburban is not back on the road yet I made a couple trips with the Honda Odyssey and the 4x8 trailer. I'm glad that was the case, probably would have killed me doing it all in one day as it had to be hauled a good ways to the trailer:sucks:.
Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 9.23.35 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 9.25.13 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 9.17.12 PM.png

Hi guys,

Finally starting to feel human again. We had to rush back to MN as my mother had took a turn for the worse. She is stabilized now and will be rehabbing in the nursing home for the next 6 weeks. The kids basically will miss a whole week of school but they are enjoying themselves even though the weather has been cold and snowy.

I am going to work on cleaning the garage this weekend as there is still lots of snow in the woods but maybe next weekend I can start working on the 4 cord order I have.
Steve, prayers sent for your Mom. I spent the past 2 days cleaning my garage. Took all the saws off the 2 shelves and lined them up for inspection. When you left a couple months ago I was down to 12 saws, now look what happened. And, there's more in the basement and shed!
FMFniqF.jpg

Wt6HR0V.jpg

Steve, prayers sent for your Mom. I spent the past 2 days cleaning my garage. Took all the saws off the 2 shelves and lined them up for inspection. When you left a couple months ago I was down to 12 saws, now look what happened. And, there's more in the basement and shed!
FMFniqF.jpg

Wt6HR0V.jpg
don't forget about the ones in under the car lol.

Sweet, gtg time:chainsaw::chop::blob2::barbecue::cheers:.

Head on down! Got a stable of Mastermind saws that need a workout.

I was on my way home from work and saw a tree job in progress so I swung by and asked what they were doing with the wood. I figured I'd have to spend a couple evenings hauling it home but the owner offered to deliver it. This was white oak but obviously there's some knotty trash in there. My buddy loves the trash and there will be at least a truck load. This tree service sells split firewood.

Anybody who isn't asking tree services for wood is missing the boat. I heat my house 95% with wood and I get 95% of my wood delivered for free from tree services working within 10 blocks of my house.

Head on down! Got a stable of Mastermind saws that need a workout.

I was on my way home from work and saw a tree job in progress so I swung by and asked what they were doing with the wood. I figured I'd have to spend a couple evenings hauling it home but the owner offered to deliver it. This was white oak but obviously there's some knotty trash in there. My buddy loves the trash and there will be at least a truck load. This tree service sells split firewood.

Anybody who isn't asking tree services for wood is missing the boat. I heat my house 95% with wood and I get 95% of my wood delivered for free from tree services working within 10 blocks of my house.
What a great success story, and mainly white oak too :clap:.
You would have to be all the way down in the SE corner of Ohio. I have a gtg this weekend and then next, and will probably be in NW Ohio the weekend after that at the inlaws. It looks like a great time, thanks for the invite. What saws do you have.

I can't figure out how to change my location but I'm not longer living in the Marietta/Parkersburg area. I'm now back home in KC sleeping in my own bed every night. I'm no longer Ontheroad. I sleep better but my banker hates it.
Click on your name in the top right of any screen(by where it says inbox/alerts) and then it will open up the window by which you can change it.
I know all to well about being out on the rd :baba:, glad your home, she'll get over it.
That makes it a bit longer drive lol.
I'm planning on going to the Iowa gtg in two weeks, you going.
My Mastermind saws are a hateful 390xp, vicious 562xp, and a 550xp that's way outside it's weight class. That's all I remember. I have some in boxes that I don't remember where they went.
Sounds like some fun saws.
I've been wanting a 390 for a while now :sweet:, and I just sold my 660, I also just bought two 36" large mount husky bars today :innocent:.

View attachment 647310 View attachment 647308 While I’m not scrounging, I’ve been keeping myself busy polishing this turd. A little 12’ sea king.
What's that rule again? Something like 'he who dies with the most rods, wins'? Can we just declare you the winner and all go home? I'm trying to work out a system to keep the quantity of rods I take with me on the yak to...wait for it...one. It's a work in progress. Can't seem to get it below two.

View attachment 647401 @farmer steve I thought we tossed this stuff back in the woods. Found a few pieces in the stuff from Dillsburg. The purple turned bright pink after being split a few weeks.
That's some of that bleeding maple spruce right there, very rare lol.
It is nice wood for the shoulder season, or to mix with something that overcoals on very cold days.

Latest posts

Back