PLEASE HELP DYING WEEPING CHERRY TREE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr jones15

Reaction score
I purchased a double weeping cherry tree to plant over my dead dog that was recently hit by a car I was going to plant the tree over his dead body and make a nice garden area over him but the trees leaves are turning brown and I think its dying before I am able to plant it fully. I have a picture can someone enlighten me quickly I dont want this tree to die at all costs!

Attachments

• 20180416_105204.jpg
    20180416_105204.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
How long have you had it? What is the return policy from the place you bought it?

Have you been keeping it watered, but not saturated?

About a week. I emailed them earlier about this so we will see would like to save it if possible though. Barley been giving it water it seemed pretty moist for the most part I left it out in the rain since last night and today whatever few green leaves un dropped it seems but still. A lot of brown leaves. I brought it in for the night theres a few snow flurries and put it in a dark closet till morning.

They just told me to scratch the bark and told them it was still green they just said it was still alive it's going through a transition phase but it barley has any green leaves left most have turned brown and died off.

What is their "normal" warranty? If it is less than this season, I'd ask them to either replace it now or extend that. I think an extension is a win/win. If they are confident it is alive and will continue to be, them no loss to them and you won't be out the plan if it doesn't make it.

That tree come from somewhere south and it is not happy to have been brought into Ohio's late-arriving Spring. Not at all unlikely that the leaves got hit by frost at the retailer since you were bringing it inside. IF that is the case, it will put on a second flush - about the same time as the others around start to come out. That is taxing on a tree to have to use its stored energy reserves on a second flush of leaves before the first have started to "pay back" for what it took to develop those. Just make sure it gets planted at the correct depth, give it 2-3" of mulch (but not piled against the trunk), and make sure it gets about 10-15 gallons of water twice a week if there is no rain.

I'd keep it in the pot to see if a second flush of leaves come on so you don't have to dig up a dead tree if they don't come out...

Back