Noob chainsaw advise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again for your reply. I'm valuing everything i am hearing here. This chainsaw for me will fit into the " weekend warrior " type. I'm planning on using it twice a year to cut firewood for camping. I may use it a bit more for clearing the occasional downed tree and i may even sell a little wood. That being said i'm happy w the decision i made. I simply cannot afford the upcharge a saw shop gets. That doesn't mean i don't believe in supporting the local shop, i just can't afford to. I got a good buy on this saw and a member here has been gracious enough to me w assistance in setting it up. My main things were i have a very bad back. I have very limited funds but wanted a good firewood cutter to use few times a yr. i guess time will tell if i've made a good decision but thank you very much to everyone who has chimed in. I appreciate it !

Thanks again for your reply. I'm valuing everything i am hearing here. This chainsaw for me will fit into the " weekend warrior " type. I'm planning on using it twice a year to cut firewood for camping. I may use it a bit more for clearing the occasional downed tree and i may even sell a little wood. That being said i'm happy w the decision i made. I simply cannot afford the upcharge a saw shop gets. That doesn't mean i don't believe in supporting the local shop, i just can't afford to. I got a good buy on this saw and a member here has been gracious enough to me w assistance in setting it up. My main things were i have a very bad back. I have very limited funds but wanted a good firewood cutter to use few times a yr. i guess time will tell if i've made a good decision but thank you very much to everyone who has chimed in. I appreciate it !

Well, all I can say is give a Dealer a chance. You just might be surprised at what they can/will do for you price wise.

My Wife Enjoys going up into the woods to go wood cutting, and decided she wanted HER OWN SAW.

I thought that the Husqvarna 445 would be the right Price/Weight/Power balance for her. I really wanted it with a 16" B&C, but everyone had the 18" B&C in stock. I looked too long, and didn't have time to order one for Christmas :(.

I am a truck driver, and I was on temporary reassignment out of town helping another account, I stopped at Xtreme Power Sports in Okanogan, WA., just driving by, had never been there before, they had a 445, but wit the 18" B&C of course, they offered to swap a 16" B&C on to it for me, but unfortunately they only had a 3/8 pitch bar in stock, and the 445 is a .325 pitch.

Being it was the 16th of December and I wasn't going to be home much before Christmas, I bought it with the 18" B&C.

The 445 has an MSRP of $329.95 w/16" and $339.95 w/18" B&C. I had never been there before, and most likely will never be back. They sold me the saw with the 18" B&C for $305, without me even asking if they could "Do any Better" on the price.

The Standard warranty for Husky saws is 2 years, add 1 year if you buy 6 bottles (any size) of Husky 2 stroke oil, or add 2 years if you buy 3 quarts of Husky premix fuel on the same receipt.

So I got the 445 w/18" B&C with a 4 year warranty and 3 quarts of fuel for $329, the same price that Other places sell the saw alone for.

The 18" Bar will fit on the 353 that I recently bought so all is Good :)

I still want to get a 16" B&C for the Wife's 445, but I did get a 13" B&C thinking that would be better for her to get used to visualizing where tha Bar tip is while learning to use her new saw, She WAS NOT IMPRESSED with the 13" B&C, said that it was EMBARRASSING :laughing:.

The Forests opened for wood cutting on the 15th, and she is picking up the permit and tags from the Forest Circus today on her way to her shop, she has been Anxious to try out her new saw, I just don't know if the Snow is going to cooperate, we have had later and lower snow than normal this year, but she is still pushing to go try.

Doug :cheers:

If budget is not an issue, I would biy the 50cc pro saw from either Husqvarna or Stihl. Great power and at 10 lbs, easy on your back.
That being said, I am selling a like new Husqvarna 545. It's listed in the tradin post.
Good luck with your saw search

@chipper1 so i wanted to follow up here. I'd read about these saws not coming to life until 8-10 tanks in. My saw did seem to follow suit and then some. I was probably 15-20 tanks in and the saw seemed to wake up a bit. That's when i decided to do the MM and ditch the limiters. Brett retuned it today and we ran it a bit. The difference is huge. For me, being a weekend warrior firewood cutter, this saw is awesome. I was open to buying anything from the get and after looking at the Huskys and Stihls, i went w the Echo cs490. I love it, for a 50 cc firewood saw, i couldn't be happier . Special thanks to Brett too, you are one solid dude. Thank you !

@chipper1 so i wanted to follow up here. I'd read about these saws not coming to life until 8-10 tanks in. My saw did seem to follow suit and then some. I was probably 15-20 tanks in and the saw seemed to wake up a bit. That's when i decided to do the MM and ditch the limiters. Brett retuned it today and we ran it a bit. The difference is huge. For me, being a weekend warrior firewood cutter, this saw is awesome. I was open to buying anything from the get and after looking at the Huskys and Stihls, i went w the Echo cs490. I love it, for a 50 cc firewood saw, i couldn't be happier . Special thanks to Brett too, you are one solid dude. Thank you !
Welcome Matt.
For guys wondering here's a couple vids.
They are both with it running a 20" which is a bit much for it, but Matt wanted it for reach and not to cut with it buried. Since that was the size of the bar I figured gains would be the easiest to see in a 20" log, the ash in the vid is a bit wider than 20"(same log in both videos), and the gains were most certainly noticeable, some of the gains are from break-in, and some from the muffler mod. I felt the saw is a pretty fair buy for what you get, after the muffler mod and retune. It's running about 12.2-12.3k no load right now.
Please forgive the video quality in the second video, I just cracked the screen on my phone last week :(.

Welcome Matt.
For guys wondering here's a couple vids.
They are both with it running a 20" which is a bit much for it, but Matt wanted it for reach and not to cut with it buried. Since that was the size of the bar I figured gains would be the easiest to see in a 20" log, the ash in the vid is a bit wider than 20"(same log in both videos), and the gains were most certainly noticeable, some of the gains are from break-in, and some from the muffler mod. I felt the saw is a pretty fair buy for what you get, after the muffler mod and retune. It's running about 12.2-12.3k no load right now.
Please forgive the video quality in the second video, I just cracked the screen on my phone last week :(.

Crap, I fell asleep watching that. Go get your 390xp. :innocent::hi:

I left my 490 setting for about 2 year's
Usually use a 70cc saw
Didn't use it much but it's handy to have around.
Started on the second pull
Good saws does great with
18 inch .325 .50 rs
I tried 3/8 lp
It did ok.
Agree, the .325 18” on mine really handles itself well.

Back