Wtb tongs for pulling logs off pile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott chandler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
not really sure if they are called skidding tongs but what i want to do is pull logs off pile to ground so i can cut. Some logs are as thick as 24" and all i want to do is pull them. Some old but safe that you connect chain to. Will use tractor to pull

not really sure if they are called skidding tongs but what i want to do is pull logs off pile to ground so i can cut. Some logs are as thick as 24" and all i want to do is pull them. Some old but safe that you connect chain to. Will use tractor to pull

I got mine for about $50 but tongs work best on certain size of logs and not very darn good on dead wood, particularly if the bark is slipping. Clevis hook on a chain is more reliable if you can get around the log. I have both rigged on a bale spear on my 3 pt

My dad years ago had a chain with one point piece that you could hit into log best i remember. Doesn't look like it would hold well but i think you could pull log with it. May have been 2 points not sure. Tongs sure would be easier to use some of logs laying on each other make it impossible to get chain around. Is there such a thing that you can hammer into end of log that you can connect a chain to ? Like a large screw with loop ? May be dumb question but just wondering

My dad years ago had a chain with one point piece that you could hit into log best i remember. Doesn't look like it would hold well but i think you could pull log with it. May have been 2 points not sure. Tongs sure would be easier to use some of logs laying on each other make it impossible to get chain around. Is there such a thing that you can hammer into end of log that you can connect a chain to ? Like a large screw with loop ? May be dumb question but just wondering

I sometimes use my tongs to lift the log so I can get a chain around it. Or use peavey to roll log onto my chain, Portable drill and an eyebolt would get you there. Lots of other solutions I'm sure

I have a set that I bought from Northern tools, I cannot rember which set I bought for certain but they are large. They are the roughneck brand and I bought larger than I thought I really needed, I'm glad I did buy the larger size, I have used them pretty hard, I have exceeded the lift capacity on my L2800 Kubota and had to cut the red oak logs into 3 foot lengths to pick them up. I have dragged 8-12 ft pine that was about 28-30" across.

I have a set that I bought from Northern tools, I cannot rember which set I bought for certain but they are large. They are the roughneck brand and I bought larger than I thought I really needed, I'm glad I did buy the larger size, I have used them pretty hard, I have exceeded the lift capacity on my L2800 Kubota and had to cut the red oak logs into 3 foot lengths to pick them up. I have dragged 8-12 ft pine that was about 28-30" across.

I don't think you will hurt any of them on a straight pull. The ones that have screw in points will bend the points very easily if you pound them into a hard log

I have what one would call a choke chain Large ring on one end hook on other . I use that more than anything else Have tongs as well but tend to slip ( very large/w fixed points) Do not like to climb on top of a stack to pound points in. I will use a couple very large lag screws for a purchase point to get and end moved to get choker on it. also use big slings in a choker arrangement as well. I can pull or lift using my bucket ( hooks welded in place on top for this purpose or use the three point - garden tractor is enough just to pull log down from top . Course one has to be careful as these are always a pile of pickup sticks if you remember that game. ( difference being a few tenths of an ounce vs several hundred pounds- can do serious damage in the blink of and eye).

With two people tongs are usually my best option, when working alone it gets frustrating sometimes when they come unhooked.

I also use choker chains, I usually choose what to use depending on the circumstances .

Down here in the South (Tennessee) their called snaking tongs. I got mine at at a flea market for $20. They open up to pull a 20" log. But if you want new and shiny, look on ebay. There are several different ones on there

Down here in the South (Tennessee) their called snaking tongs. I got mine at at a flea market for $20. They open up to pull a 20" log. But if you want new and shiny, look on ebay. There are several different ones on there
I use mine pulling creosote cross ties that the railroad left everywhere. Sometimes up to a 1/4 of a mile. I tried using slings and chains but the rocks would tear up the slings in 1 trip and the chains really took a beating. Now it's all smooth sailing

Back