update / revision history of the 550XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott911

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought a brand new 550xp in late 2017 and just realized by its serial number (201331020xx) that it was made in 2013.
It's a triobrake model, so maybe it was hard to move, or what not. Regardless, with only about ten hours or so on it, it's now in shop because it's lost nearly all compression and won't start.

My question here is - should I be concerned about having gotten such an old saw? I'm trying to see what improvements I may have missed out on. I've come across a few post mentioning different generations or version numbers of the saw, a venting improvement on the fuel tank, different bearings introduced over time, etc...

I'm hoping to figure out (by year or serial number) when various upgrades were introduced, and how meaningful they are.

Thank you

If the saw is still under warranty I would personally want a new saw as a replacement, that is unless you bought the saw at a drastically reduced price. I have the updates here on my computer, the list of updates and improvements is quite long. It ranges from small stuff like the oil pump to major components such as the crank, bearings and the piston and cylinder. The saw has gone through at least 4 different carbs as well. Again if you bought the saw dirt cheap it may be worth the trouble, if not I personally wouldn't mess with it. These saws also had QC issues at the time, I bet the saw failed do to an air leak from a bad transfer cover seal.. These saws are really nice when running properly.

Thanks Andy- yeah saw's well under warrantee, hopefully Husky will work with me. It's a triobrake model, so I suspect they had trouble moving them. According to original dealer - it was already 2 to 3 years old when it was shipped from husky to them, and then it sat on their shelves for another 2 years before I bought it - at full price. I knew none of this until I had to hunt for the serial number to get service - yes - likely air leak lead to cooking it according to my new dealer.

Anyway - thanks for the info. Those updates aren't trivial, and I will be pushing hard for a new saw!

Thanks Andy- yeah saw's well under warrantee, hopefully Husky will work with me. It's a triobrake model, so I suspect they had trouble moving them. According to original dealer - it was already 2 to 3 years old when it was shipped from husky to them, and then it sat on their shelves for another 2 years before I bought it - at full price. I knew none of this until I had to hunt for the serial number to get service - yes - likely air leak lead to cooking it according to my new dealer.

Anyway - thanks for the info. Those updates aren't trivial, and I will be pushing hard for a new saw!
I would suggest not getting another triobrake, they likely only produce a few runs here and there, and chances are a replacement saw will be just as old as the one you have. Personally I don't see the triobrake doing anything other than getting in the way. Rely on yourself not some gizmo to keep you safe.

I have one of the first 550s that Spike50 ever sold when they first came out. Had it ported and have never been back to the Dealer for any updates or failures for that matter. Strong runner. Have another 2016 model or so and never had a problem as well.
What many fear come upon them eventually, think positive the 550xp is a dandy.

Thanks all for your advise and information. I'm working with Art at Husqvarna - hopefully, this moves smoothly forward.

I have one of the first 550s that Spike50 ever sold when they first came out. Had it ported and have never been back to the Dealer for any updates or failures for that matter. Strong runner. Have another 2016 model or so and never had a problem as well.
What many fear come upon them eventually, think positive the 550xp is a dandy.

unfortunately - the saw did fail... andy in post 2 sums it up.

Back