MS241 vs 18" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this sounds ridiculous, but a guy wants to buy my 024 AVS with a 16" bar that I recently fixed with a new top end. He can't afford a new MS241. The o24 is about 18 years old. If I sold it to him for $140, would that price be too low? Not sure, but I imagine that's only about half of what they sold for back in 1999. Any comments?
Srihl 024 AVS.jpg
It seems to start and run smoothly now with 140 psi compression. He intends to use it only occasionally.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but a guy wants to buy my 024 AVS with a 16" bar that I recently fixed with a new top end. He can't afford a new MS241. The o24 is about 18 years old. If I sold it to him for $140, would that price be too low? Not sure, but I imagine that's only about half of what they sold for back in 1999. Any comments?
View attachment 646408
It seems to start and run smoothly now with 140 psi compression. He intends to use it only occasionally.
What top end OEM? And what did that cost you

Stihl 024 part # 1123 020 1223
About $40 shipped. A friend I knew in Iowa had an OEM kit in stock that he wanted to sell. It was a diamond in the rough. You seldom run into these. I could have bought one from China for half that amount.
Well I suppose that saw is worth fairly close to the price he offered you ain't going to get a whole lot for it. But a bit more maybe. Ask a little more based on the OEM cyl and piston and negotiate from there.

Well I suppose that saw is worth fairly close to the price he offered you ain't going to get a whole lot for it. But a bit more maybe. Ask a little more based on the OEM cyl and piston and negotiate from there.
Unfortunately, Wolfie, it's tough to do this when Wally World sells dirt cheap new saws. It's a price we all have to pay. The average consumer counts pennies as if they were diamonds.

Sell while you can then.
Not sure I want to. If the buyer balks, I'll keep this little saw. Why not? Let him buy a Wild Thing and watch it give up in a few years. I've got three of those parted out in a box from previous owners who either gave up on them or beat them to death. One day last year I told a millionaire to buy either a Stihl or a Husky and he went to Wally World instead to buy his Wild Thing. The first time he used it, the chain flew off and the drive links were buggered up.

Quality is something that few people these days are willing to pay for. We now have a throw-away society that's intent upon buying new products that don't last.

I know this is an old topic, but when I see bad advice, I can't resist. A 241 weighs 9.9 lbs and I paid $440 + tax for mine. A 550xp weighs 10.8 lbs, which is the same as a MS261C-M (which is a better saw anyway). Plus a 550xp costs close to $599.

View attachment 646040
I paid 550 for my 241, I paid the same for my 261cm and also my 550xpg. 241 and 261 came off this site from members. 550xpg came from Spike60.

I've been giving .325 and 68 drivers a run on my ported 241 with a 7 tooth rim..not too bad, I wouldn't go that route on a stock one.

Mine works fine with the exact same setup with just a muffler mod. It cuts great. It's not like running a 461 with a 20" bar or anything, but cuts great. I've cut 15"-16" Maples with it.

Try some 63 PS Stihl chain

I'm swapping out my 325 for the Picco again. I have a 7 pin sprocket on the way to try out with my PM chains. I've considered trying the PS but does dirty wood really dull it as bad as people say? We cut up a lot of firewood from trees we push over.

Latest posts

Back