pioneer farmsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2strokin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone. New to site. Picked up 1980 pioneer farmsaw from neighbor. Was in his shed since 1981. He used it once. All original. I am a tinkerer so I told him i'd take it. Mixed up some oil and gas. took 10 minutes to get it running!! He said it has about 4 hrs on it. 38 yr old plug and it fired!!!. Anyway.... it does not have the chain. I can't find anything about the links for this saw. Guy at local shop says it is 68 links. Too big doesn't work. Says he does.nt have info, saw is to old. Can somebody tell how many links for this chain, 18 inch bar .058 by 3/8 pitch. It seems that pioneer had some weird chain sizes. (so he said) I have learned a lot about this saw the last few weeks here. You guys seem to think this saw is pretty good so I will start replacing stuff (fuel lines, plug etc.) Thanks!!!!

Hello everyone. New to site. Picked up 1980 pioneer farmsaw from neighbor. Was in his shed since 1981. He used it once. All original. I am a tinkerer so I told him i'd take it. Mixed up some oil and gas. took 10 minutes to get it running!! He said it has about 4 hrs on it. 38 yr old plug and it fired!!!. Anyway.... it does not have the chain. I can't find anything about the links for this saw. Guy at local shop says it is 68 links. Too big doesn't work. Says he does.nt have info, saw is to old. Can somebody tell how many links for this chain, 18 inch bar .058 by 3/8 pitch. It seems that pioneer had some weird chain sizes. (so he said) I have learned a lot about this saw the last few weeks here. You guys seem to think this saw is pretty good so I will start replacing stuff (fuel lines, plug etc.) Thanks!!!!

Picture of bar please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can just size it with a piece of chain, like the 68 driver piece that was too long.

Either your saw guy is an idiot or just lazy. It's not rocket surgery!

Picture of bar please
18 bar.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
this is the pic of 18" bar-68dl snugs up with bar all the way out- no room to adjust. could be 66dl???

Just looked on Baileys site and some D176 18" bars are labeled 66dl or 68dl.

Would kind of make sense since 20" D176 bars are 70dl instead of the usual 72dl.

And I'm just shooting in the dark here on the bar possibly being a D176.

Would kind of make sense since 20" D176 bars are 70dl instead of the usual 72dl.

Yea that's what I'm thinking. Wish they would have made one 18" for the saw instead of a couple different ones. Going with the 66. The guy at my shop is and idiot. He is aout 25-28 yrs old. I think he only knows mowers. He wont be seeing me anymore!! Thank you everyone for your replies!! I'm a tinkerer. First old saw for me. Know how to set carbs and stuff. Just new to the field. One more question. I have read all of your discussions on fuel mix for the old saws. Mine is 24/1 but s lot of you run the new oils form 40-50 to 1. I don't want to blow up the saw since it only has 4-5 hrs on it. Would like to here from anyone running a Farmsaw for awhile on the new oils if you have smoked one yet

I know this is just me but I run 32:1 in all my 50cc and bigger saws and that includes an old McCulloch 250. And 40:1 in the smaller stuff.

And on a side a note a D009 bar aka large husky will work on this too. Or you could get an adapter and run a Stihl bar D025. They all have the same tail pattern being the letter D in Oregon speak. Its just the slot width and length, oiler hole and adjuster placement will very.

And on a side a note a D009 bar aka large husky will work on this too. Or you could get an adapter and run a Stihl bar D025. They all have the same tail pattern being the letter D in Oregon speak. Its just the slot width and length, oiler hole and adjuster while very.
Big thanks Dub11!!! Boy am i getting a ton of info on this saw

Big thanks Dub11!!! Boy am i getting a ton of info on this saw

I have a farmsaw too. Thought you might like to know...
If you put in E-10 mix, the fuel cap will swell just like the poulan ones do and of course the carb kit will die eventually.

I have a farmsaw too. Thought you might like to know...
If you put in E-10 mix, the fuel cap will swell just like the poulan ones do and of course the carb kit will die eventually.
yea....I heard that too, probably why the original fuel lines were still good. no E-10 back then. thanks

I use aviation fuel in my saws. No $hitty pump fuel with ethanol. You can use non-ethanol and av gas 50:50

Back