A slightly modded carburetor. Having second thoughts.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Crawford

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I took a Walbro WT324 carburetor off my 36cc Poulan and slightly bored the Venturi, choke deleted it and removed the choke flap stops. I think I may have messed up now by boring the Venturi out a little. I probably should've just cleaned up the casting line, thinned the shafts and screws and put the modified air box on it. I'll still put a kit in it and find out, but I have a feeling I'll end up using a carburetor with a stock Venturi size. I'll measure a factory Venturi and the modified one to see how much is gone and report back.

If you havn`t bored in past the throttle butterfly you havn`t done any harm to the carb.
I haven't. I meant to bring my telescoping gauges home today, but I forgot them at work. I'll see if I can measure the Venturi size vs a factory carburetor with my calipers.

If you havn`t bored in past the throttle butterfly you havn`t done any harm to the carb.

Here's the throttle blade side. It's not even close to the throttle blade. It still has a smooth ramp on each side of the venturi. I couldn't get a measurement on the factory carburetor, but the Venturi on this one is .462 id. IMG_20180409_184830.jpg

May as well go after that choke flap screw and take it down flush. I may have to look into this for my saw.

Okay.....I got it on the saw and fired it up. I can't get it to adjust out right. It will idle fine and rev up fine IF you slowly give it throttle. If you just hit the throttle, it will bog and want to die. If you slowly rev it, it will run at WOT, but after you close the throttle, it will idle down real low and try to die for a few seconds, then it will come back up to normal idle speed. I can't adjust the bog out of it.

I can put the aftermarket carburetor on it, and it will idle and rev just like it's suppose to. So for now, it's wearing the aftermarket carburetor. I'll put it in some wood tommorow and see how it does. It sounds good with the modded muffler.

Back