Iowa GTG 2018

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome, nice to see anther local guy on the forum if you want to talk saws hit me up I live in north liberty

Is Tipton close enough?

Thanks ramrat. We are looking to build/buy an acreage between Iowa city and Amana. Hard to find anything with Johnson county being so restrictive!!

And expensive!

Hey guys...being a new member here and newer to the cutting world....any places around Iowa City/Cedar Rapids that one can cut firewood off of? I just see all this construction going on around the I-380 corridor and all the cutting of trees and the wood being wasted. It's a shame that the DOT/DNR isn't allowing people to use this wasted wood!

Hey guys...being a new member here and newer to the cutting world....any places around Iowa City/Cedar Rapids that one can cut firewood off of? I just see all this construction going on around the I-380 corridor and all the cutting of trees and the wood being wasted. It's a shame that the DOT/DNR isn't allowing people to use this wasted wood!

S.O.P. for the DOT. Watched it burn for many years all over Iowa on road jobs. Some of the giant piles would burn for weeks and weeks. All the Osage Orange down in southern IA. was a tooth grinder to watch burn up! Much gets ground up these days.
Liability of a bunch of yahoo's bouncing around a jobsite with saws, likely brought scrounging to a halt for the most part!

S.O.P. for the DOT. Watched it burn for many years all over Iowa on road jobs. Some of the giant piles would burn for weeks and weeks. All the Osage Orange down in southern IA. was a tooth grinder to watch burn up! Much gets ground up these days.
Liability of a bunch of yahoo's bouncing around a jobsite with saws, likely brought scrounging to a halt for the most part!

It's just so sad to see. They have cleared literally thousands of trees for the new I-380/80 interchange to widen and straighten it out a bit. It's crazy the amount of trees they have cut down in a matter of 2 weeks or so. Don't have any idea of what kind they are(probably mostly garbage, but it's still wood).

So far on the list:
Hoskvarna
Ronaldo
Carl & Barbara

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
Would sure appreciate it if you could add your name if planning on attending. It helps us to know what to plan on for food, etc. Going to have a sale/trade/barter table too. I have a couple to put on there:
39f4d8c94e5a6cc9a78c3a1da8fe3171.jpg
a0ac28b2455752feb744c3088b123998.jpg
4c9b749edd6ad0e2223c3c4eed1a1ab4.jpg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Sorry guys, I will be finishing up in Pakistan and heading towards Thailand next weekend. Should be the last trip I have to make in a while...

Mark
So much for retirement eh? Safe travels buddy.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Ronaldo's Mac 610 TimberBear is missing the outer wraparound chain brake handle. Here is what it's supposed to look like, vintage 1976:
Mac610-1.JPG
Mac610-2.JPG
Mine runs today (I think), but Ronaldo may have to help me start it in Iowa next week. I could bring a 28" bar and chain to see if it can still pull that as well on some big stuff.

Oh, and BTW, I was screened out of an antique saw competition at a GTG a few years back because this saw has a chain brake on board. Somebody forgot to tell that to McCulloch back in 1976 -- 42 years ago -- that chain brakes were unnecessary and not ever going to be needed on chainsaws of the future.

I'll start preparing chains, bars, engines, and vittles. I can sleep in the truck Friday night. I doubt we will need any dry kindling or bundled wood for a campfire. ;)

Oh, and Chipper1, I got the old log splitter engine to run again. As expected, low compression mean very little power. When it was cold, it didn't have enough to fire or drive the pump, so it's a parts engine. Valves and rings are probably shot.

Let's see for the GTG... 661, 660, 064, Poulan 4000, Mac 610, etc. etc. Seem acceptable? Any requests?

Load up your cars and bring the whole clan there will be a lot of different stuff going on at least two wood processors two different types of Sawmill. horse logging and horsewagon rides so there will be something foreverybody.

I'm (very) new around here, Mark talked me into joining, while also giving me an excellent deal on some parts, so thanks. I live over near Dubuque/Dyersville, and I'd love to come but im in a wheelchair, and as much as I try not to use that as an excuse, you guys all know what kind of spring we've had and i dont do mud. Hopefully next year I'll be a bit more active around here and the weather will cooperate. Im mostly into antique saws, so if any of you are from my general area and want to unload any, i may be interested.

John

I'm (very) new around here, Mark talked me into joining, while also giving me an excellent deal on some parts, so thanks. I live over near Dubuque/Dyersville, and I'd love to come but im in a wheelchair, and as much as I try not to use that as an excuse, you guys all know what kind of spring we've had and i dont do mud. Hopefully next year I'll be a bit more active around here and the weather will cooperate. Im mostly into antique saws, so if any of you are from my general area and want to unload any, i may be interested.

John

Welcome John
We don’t have mud here now and sounds nice into the weekend so if you want to come be glad to have you.
And we can help you get around if needed.

Sent from Hoskvarna Hills

Latest posts

Back