How many saws do you regularly use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EngineNoO9

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Kindve curious as to how many saws people use non commercially for firewood or clearing trees. I just came into all of my saws so I personally can't say. I was given all of mine but somehow will end up with a 14", 16", 18", and a 20" All in rising increments of displacement. Mostly curious if you bring out 2-3 at once depending on what you're doing.

Since I bought my Stihl MSA120c cordless I rarely ever dig out a gas saw. I DID use my 20" Stihl 039 a LOT this year bucking a 125' Poplar that Irma brought down. I have a 14" Homelite that gets used for trimming the pampass grass and the occasional felling and limbing. I also have a 16" Stihl that is rarely used for limbing. I have 3 trees I would like to fell this year. All will be felled with the cordless but I will need a gas saw for bucking the larger.

Well, it all depends. If I'm near the house, I will likely just fuel up 2 saws, and carry them to where I plan on cutting. When they're out of fuel, I'll walk back to the house and fuel up two different saws.

If I'm going somewhere farther away, I'll likely take between 5-10. Just fill them all up, and when they're out of fuel, grab a different saw. Don't even have to mess with a fuel can out in the woods. I still always bring it along, just in case...

I usually cut where I can drive my Jeep, in which case I'll have half a dozen or so. I have 2 ported 50cc saws which are definitely the pick for most work. If I'm just bucking firewood I'll grab a 60-90cc saw, and if I'm felling something over 20" I'll usually be using a 70+cc saw. I figure spreading the use over many saws keeps them all in pretty good shape as opposed to using one or two extensively. Also, it's nice just grabbing the next saw after running out of fuel.

Two of us are usually hiking in to clear downed trees from trails. We have two Stihl MS 241 C-M saws with 16” bars that do most of what we need. We also have an MS 362 C-M with a 25” bar we take if we know something big is down.

Usually hike with as few saws as possible. Commonly take one 241 unless we’re sawing all day cleaning up after something blew through, then also take the 362.

Guess I should mention the kombi pole saw we take if we know it’ll be handy.

All of 'em!
DramaLlama.gif

I use my NE 346XP the most. For larger stuff the 365XT comes out. Don't use the 021 much anymore.

My son's trying to wear out the new CS 2258. :yes:

NYH1.

I have four saws- an Echo 352 and Stihl 025, 362CM, MS460. I keep them all sharp and ready. I use them on my property, for clearing brush, felling trees and cutting firewood. We have some large trees here- over 4' dbh. Depending on what I'm doing I will load a saw or two into the UTV along with the rest of my gear. I've yet to need more than two for a given task.

Probably 90% of the time I am bucking wood that's down, and use an 046 with either 20" or 26" bar. Otherwise if I'm in smaller stuff, I use the 261 with 16" 3/8 pitch bar and chain.

I often take both saws to the field just in case.

when i go out for wood i take 3 saws. my Husky 555 autotune, my Husky 372xpw (non-xTorq) and either one of my Husky 2100cd or either my Jonsered 2094 or the 2095. and about 3 gallons of mix and a gallon of bar oil.

I guess I can see a guy bringing two in case one breaks down or you get one hung up. I could be wrong, but I feel three or more is just because you want to run different saws, and there's nothing wrong with that. I think in a normal firewood situation, two is plenty.

I was thinking 2. One primary and one for limbing. I guess if I'm in a remote area bringing extra.

Latest posts

Back