Sthil 034 Super Repair Estimate!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must be the cheapest Chinese parts eBay has to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you might do is use it to learn on. Buy the cheapest parts on ebay and do it yourself. If you're sure you need bearings and seals it might be a bit more complicated but if not you'll just be into the repairs for less than $75. It's not that hard, I do it.. One word of warning however, if you buy the parts from another country right now don't expect them to arrive right away, I think the postal system is kinda backed up...

I'd like to know where you coming up with $125 for parts... maybe the cheapest parts on eBay. Sometimes a parts saw is a great investment when you need more expensive bits. Not many parts on a chainsaw, but they sure are expensive for their size ;)
I have a partner with who has a bevy of "New old Stihl stock" & he's in my debt HEAVY!!;)
I'm pretty decently connected outside of eBay, chainsawr.com. Lil Red Barn, Baileys, and the usual suspects...:rolleyes:

What you might do is use it to learn on. Buy the cheapest parts on ebay and do it yourself. If you're sure you need bearings and seals it might be a bit more complicated but if not you'll just be into the repairs for less than $75. It's not that hard, I do it.. One word of warning however, if you buy the parts from another country right now don't expect them to arrive right away, I think the postal system is kinda backed up...
I'm considering doing just that a. palmer jr.:cheers:

If you had the Stihl dealer here fix it, your bill to get out the door would be closer to $750.
I agree with the other guys, keep it as a tinkering project and find yourself a good running saw at a decent price.
:dizzy::crazy2:Y-I-K-E-S!!!!!

The 034 is a great saw and it sounds like your crank and case are good? If so, and f it were me, I would buy a quality aftermarket p&c like Meteor, the other small things needed and repair the saw. But that's just me, I like working on them. Everything I've learned about working on saws was by diving in.

Another thing you can do is advertise on Craigslist for non running saws. I've accumulated about 2 dozen Stihl saws with an ad like this. Who knows, you may run across a 034 or 036 with a good top end.

The 034 is a great saw and it sounds like your crank and case are good? If so, and f it were me, I would buy a quality aftermarket p&c like Meteor, the other small things needed and repair the saw. But that's just me, I like working on them. Everything I've learned about working on saws was by diving in.

Another thing you can do is advertise on Craigslist for non running saws. I've accumulated about 2 dozen Stihl saws with an ad like this. Who knows, you may run across a 034 or 036 with a good top end.
Sounds like a pretty good plan.
btw...how do you determine if a saw actually needs seals & bearings? :reading:

Seals = vacuum/pressure test and bearing = any play or rough spots when spun their bad

For $100 I'd definitely try fixing it up and take it as a leading expierence.

Sounds like a pretty good plan.
btw...how do you determine if a saw actually needs seals & bearings? :reading:

If you search vacuum and pressure tests, you'll find a lot of how tos. They're not as intimidating as they might sound, nor as expensive.

Had a good chat with my old Stihl Tech whose about hour away...he''ll do the job splitting the case or not, if I supply the parts for $75...but advised me to get a decent piston/cylinder kit, fuel filter, spark plug, Zama carb kit...and he'll do the vac/pressure test to determine whether that's a legit need or not.
I tell you...its almost impossible to put a price tag on great relationships... especially when you are a mechanical Neanderthal like me!:dizzy:
He said a couple of smoked hens, a sassy redhead, and gallon of white lighting and he'd do it for free!:sweet::dancing::happybanana::cheers:
Thanks for the awesome input guys...I'm learning slowly but surely!:yes:

it's never economical to pay someone to do an overhaul like that on a saw which is why it's good to learn how to do it yourself. if this guy is a stihl dealer your getting a deal. here just a new top end is gonna run you that price. part of this hobby is learning what to do. if your a guy who cuts firewood and has a whole bunch of saws it would be silly to even consider paying someone to rebuild one for you. your pricing online are for aftermarket ebay parts which isn't going to get you the same saw in the end. if you have an estimate i'm willing to bet the guy has already worked on it which means you already owe him money. kiss the saw goodbye or pay the price he needs for his time so you can tinker with it yourself.

Good ideas & feedback.
I stopped by today and talked with them...they're willing to do the work if I buy/supply all the parts & will offer a discount of $20 bucks off the $180 labor rate...($70 an hr).
The piston looks like some kinda metallic demon chewed the rings off & the inside cylinder is scarred pretty badly.
Here is the notes: "CYLINDER AND PISTON HAVE MAJOR WEAR, PISTON RING STUCK AND HUNG ON PORT IN CYLINDER"
Crankshaft is in great shape & the tech says he "must" split the case for seals/bearings installation.
I've matched up all the part numbers and can get them about $125 total.
If I went with them I'd be in the saw for about $250.
Think I'll pass guys.:dizzy:
The biggest concern I would have is what happens if it breaks on the first or second use? I doubt the dealer will cover anything if you supply aftermarket parts. I was lucky to find a genuine OEM piston for my ms180. The cylinder was in great shape and the compression was better than brand new. I have never used aftermarket parts. There are many good Youtube videos that help with the rebuild/repair process. Take good photographs and/or videos as you disassemble the saw. Do not force it should you run into resistance. Review the Youtube video and/or look for a screw or fastener you may have overlooked.

The suggestion to look for a young person, at a tech school, who needs a project is a great idea. You will help the young person learn and you should save on the labor cost (I don't know if they are allowed to charge anything or not). The lower labor cost (perhaps free) would allow you to spend more money on genuine Stihl parts.

I hope this helps. Please simply ignore if this is not an option for you. Best of luck on your repairs and I hope you get the older Stihl running again!

Sincerely,

Brían S. Du Bois

The biggest concern I would have is what happens if it breaks on the first or second use? I doubt the dealer will cover anything if you supply aftermarket parts. I was lucky to find a genuine OEM piston for my ms180. The cylinder was in great shape and the compression was better than brand new. I have never used aftermarket parts. There are many good Youtube videos that help with the rebuild/repair process. Take good photographs and/or videos as you disassemble the saw. Do not force it should you run into resistance. Review the Youtube video and/or look for a screw or fastener you may have overlooked.

The suggestion to look for a young person, at a tech school, who needs a project is a great idea. You will help the young person learn and you should save on the labor cost (I don't know if they are allowed to charge anything or not). The lower labor cost (perhaps free) would allow you to spend more money on genuine Stihl parts.

I hope this helps. Please simply ignore if this is not an option for you. Best of luck on your repairs and I hope you get the older Stihl running again!

Sincerely,

Brían S. Du Bois
Appreciate Brían,
Got it fixed up on the cheap and sold it as pgk deal with another 034 AV.
Made some decent coin on it.

Back