Very old saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marley5

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was visiting an old friend today and saw these hanging from his garage ceiling.
One is an old mall saw....the other an old mcculloch.
He said both were running when he hung them.
He runs nothing but Stihl these days.

My relatives had a long history of working in the timber industry. As a very young child, I can still remember riding in logging trucks and being around huge piles of timber. One of my grandfathers owned a sawmill.

A chainsaw was an integral part of the process. They were pretty much the bread and butter of making a day's wage. If your saw stopped, so did you.

Yup......of those old saws could talk, I'd be more than happy to take a seat and listen to what they had to say.

My grandfather went to Atlanta & rented a Maul in around 1963.

He brought it home, & he & an employee of his cut the trees on our old home place while my great-grandfather laid the blocks for the foundation of my Grandfather’s new house.

Based on his descriptions, it was similar to the one pictured.

We remodeled his house in 2001-2002, & driving nails in those floor joist took more determination than it does in this modern wood.

Circle sawn Oak, Poplar, & Pine, & better than can be bought today.

My grandfather went to Atlanta & rented a Maul in around 1963.

He brought it home, & he & an employee of his cut the trees on our old home place while my great-grandfather laid the blocks for the foundation of my Grandfather’s new house.

Based on his descriptions, it was similar to the one pictured.

We remodeled his house in 2001-2002, & driving nails in those floor joist took more determination than it does in this modern wood.

Circle sawn Oak, Poplar, & Pine, & better than can be bought today.
I roofed in Florida and they have what is called Florida Pine.. Better be a stout nail or it will buckle. But up here in Washington state all ya need to do is wish the nail in.. Nothing to it..poplar is real soft also.. And stringy..only split when fairly dry

I roofed in Florida and they have what is called Florida Pine.. Better be a stout nail or it will buckle. But up here in Washington state all ya need to do is wish the nail in.. Nothing to it..poplar is real soft also.. And stringy..only split when fairly dry

They put grandfather’s in Green: those trees were old when he cut them, not any of this quick growth business of today. All of those joist are claw hammer head hard.

The 40 year rotation stuff you get at Home Depot the nails drive easy, but there’s still patches of second growth around that’s a bugger to drive nails into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After the war grampy come back to the states and worked for Reed prentice in Worcester mass. Eventually they closed and he worked in a machine shop till retirement but my dad remembers him running those big old Reeds he'd gotten from work. Wish we had them. Good story, thanks for the pictures too. Those saws cleared the path for this country.

They put grandfather’s in Green: those trees were old when he cut them, not any of this quick growth business of today. All of those joist are claw hammer head hard.

My house was built in 1900 and the "story" is that it was built with the trees which were harvested on site. In 1900 around here, it is possible they were first growth trees. Nothing is hewn though so if it was done with on site trees, then there was also an onsite sawmill. In my youth, my neighbors logged out their woodlot one winter and the timber crew used horses to drag out the logs as opposed to skidders. Better for the ground I guess since it was cropland they were dragging through. I often imagine that very thing happened when they built my house all those years ago.

I usually need to drill a pilot hole before driving a nail or screw. It is all yellow pine and you can barely see any delineation from one growth ring to the next. The 2x6s are 1 3/4x5 3/4. I figure they framed it with green 2x6s and they shrank a little as they dried. With growth rings that tight there would have been very little warpage.

Back