Wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodhounder

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Alright, on a normal day, I would think this was cherry wood, but it has thorns under the bark. I am not sure about the rest of the tree because when I got it there was only about 5 logs ranging from 12-25 ft long 10-18 in diameter. Most of the bark is gone,. I live in southern Michigan and we have a lot of cherry, but I've never seen any with thorns. When I split it, it doesn't seem as red inside as some cherries do and also is very fragrant. Please Help! Thanks.

Attachments

• cherry wood9.jpg
    cherry wood9.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 59
  • cherry wood10.jpg
    cherry wood10.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 54
  • cherry wood11.jpg
    cherry wood11.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 58
  • cherry wood12.jpg
    cherry wood12.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 58
  • cherry wood13.jpg
    cherry wood13.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 56
  • cherry wood14.jpg
    cherry wood14.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 55
  • cherry wood15.jpg
    cherry wood15.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 55
  • cherry wood16.jpg
    cherry wood16.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 56
Well, it smells like cherry maybe just a little sweeter I suppose. Yes, the thorns are similar to honey locust, a little shorter though, just as wicked. The tree came off of a site that was cleared to build a house. When I picked the wood up, it was on another site, so I didn't see where it came from

I once saw an maple growing around an oak, and the trunks were actually one about 6 feet off the ground. The maple had completely enveloped the oak trunk... So, it is possible, but really rare!

So, it is possible for that cherry to have been in close proximity to a honeylocust, and had the thorns just enveloped by the cherry. Neat find!

That is strange, looks like black cherry bark but not red enough wood. Does anyone know what pin cherry wood looks like?

I have some in the wood pile. Next time I'm out I will see if I can find a piece and split. I probably had about 10 tree's from a clearing I helped with last fall. It's all very small. There is a fair bit of it around and if you came across a 8" tree that would be big. Bark is very dark and smooth. Distinct smell. Almost like a bitter smell with sweetness.

I see it along field edges. Never in the middle of the woods.

I have some in the wood pile. Next time I'm out I will see if I can find a piece and split. I probably had about 10 tree's from a clearing I helped with last fall. It's all very small. There is a fair bit of it around and if you came across a 8" tree that would be big. Bark is very dark and smooth. Distinct smell. Almost like a bitter smell with sweetness.

I see it along field edges. Never in the middle of the woods.
The one I just cut down was 10-12". I've never noticed them before, but will be keeping an eye out for them.

The one I just cut down was 10-12". I've never noticed them before, but will be keeping an eye out for them.

I don't know if I have seen one over 12". Most you never even have to split. I was gonna to chip some and use it to smoke a little meat but I have been lazy. The smell is so distinct. Like box elder is a nasty bitter this is more of a sweet bitter.

I don't know if I have seen one over 12". Most you never even have to split. I was gonna to chip some and use it to smoke a little meat but I have been lazy. The smell is so distinct. Like box elder is a nasty bitter this is more of a sweet bitter.
Me either since this was the first I've ever even cut. I do know we have them here, just a species I've never noticed, I'll probably see them everywhere now lol.

Alright, on a normal day, I would think this was cherry wood, but it has thorns under the bark. I am not sure about the rest of the tree because when I got it there was only about 5 logs ranging from 12-25 ft long 10-18 in diameter. Most of the bark is gone,. I live in southern Michigan and we have a lot of cherry, but I've never seen any with thorns. When I split it, it doesn't seem as red inside as some cherries do and also is very fragrant. Please Help! Thanks.
Looks like black cherry to me.I've seen a fair amount of it that is a lighter color than most.

Yes you're right. That's Black Cherry for sure. I burn lots of it. Not all is red inside.

Back