Stihl 044 rebuilt,can’t pull.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Galindez

Reaction score
Rebuilt a stihl 044. Replaced fuel line, impulse line, intake sleeve, clutch side seal,vent valve,carbureator and all the gaskets.Conducted a pressure and vacuum test with a Mac 85 and the results were good. Compression test also good. The cylinder and piston do not have any scores and the spark arrestor is clean. Without the spark plug the pull is easy but once the plug is re-installed the pull is impossible. With a strong effort I can pull it slowly through several cycles, however, once I attempt a hard pull the response is an abrupt locking effect before a cycle is completed. What can I try next?

Take parts off till it turns free. Clutch, pull start, fly wheel, cylinder, hopefully you dont get down to splitting cases before you find it

Rebuilt a stihl 044. Replaced fuel line, impulse line, intake sleeve, clutch side seal,vent valve,carbureator and all the gaskets.Conducted a pressure and vacuum test with a Mac 85 and the results were good. Compression test also good. The cylinder and piston do not have any scores and the spark arrestor is clean. Without the spark plug the pull is easy but once the plug is re-installed the pull is impossible. With a strong effort I can pull it slowly through several cycles, however, once I attempt a hard pull the response is an abrupt locking effect before a cycle is completed. What can I try next?
Did you check squish and did you check compression?

He said it pulled over fine without the spark plug and that he checked compression and it was good. I would be inclined to agree with grizz.
How much compensation it it making is what I should have asked. Lol but Yea although purity rare for a keyword to shear but it can happen if the flywheel don't get tightened down enough.

The 044 and MS440 have the same kick back problem. If the key is good, set the flywheel as far retard as it will go which is probably only 2 degrees.
Now it will crank over with NO kick back. I have had this problem with these saws time after time. This fix works every time.

Back