Stihl ms461 bar and chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared31

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking for input on the best 20” bar and chain combo for a brand new Stihl MS 461.

Welcome to AS. Nice serious saw. 20" would be 3/8 pitch 72 drive links, .050 (1.3 mm) gauge. Recommend Stihl RM (Rapid Micro) which is semi chisel chain which stays sharper longer than RS Rapid Super chisel chain. Bar options Stihl ES super, E standard laminate, a lightweight which costs more and not as much weight savings vs longer bars. Depends on what cutting, how much etc. For my 046, I run 20" ES and 25" Total lightweight. Most importantly keep chain sharp, clean air filter, use fresh fuel with good oil. Others will have eperiences. Depending what part of Ohio, I could let you try a couple different set ups.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Welcome to AS. Nice serious saw. 20" would be 3/8 pitch 72 drive links, .050 (1.3 mm) gauge. Recommend Stihl RM (Rapid Micro) which is semi chisel chain which stays sharper longer than RS Rapid Super chisel chain. Bar options Stihl ES super, E standard laminate, a lightweight which costs more and not as much weight savings vs longer bars. Depends on what cutting, how much etc. For my 046, I run 20" ES and 25" Total lightweight. Most importantly keep chain sharp, clean air filter, use fresh fuel with good oil. Others will have eperiences. Depending what part of Ohio, I could let you try a couple different set ups.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Thanks for all the input. Has anyone used a different bar than stihl on these saws

I have an Oregon power match in 36” and 28”. I feel like that saw is perfectly balanced with a 28” bar. I usually use skip chain. The stihl bars in my opinion are pretty durable and seem to last a long time. My Oregon bars are pretty new so I can’t comment on longevity but they do seem lighter and more flexible. The dual port muffler, bigger felling dogs and high flow air filter make a big difference with that saw.

I have an Oregon power match in 36” and 28”. I feel like that saw is perfectly balanced with a 28” bar. I usually use skip chain. The stihl bars in my opinion are pretty durable and seem to last a long time. My Oregon bars are pretty new so I can’t comment on longevity but they do seem lighter and more flexible. The dual port muffler, bigger felling dogs and high flow air filter make a big difference with that saw.
Where did you get the dual port muffler and the high flow air filter

Where did you get the dual port muffler and the high flow air filter

Baileys online. Same with the big felling dogs

fcf1d58d5097aed9f653f30297667e6a.jpg

That’s a great saw. You’ll love it. I’ve been really pleased with mine.

If you wanted to run a 20” bar you may as well have gotten a 362. ;)

I liked a 28” on the 46s. Standard weight. Balanced perfect and seemed to be the right length for around here.

If you wanted to run a 20” bar you may as well have gotten a 362. ;)

I liked a 28” on the 46s. Standard weight. Balanced perfect and seemed to be the right length for around here.
Looks like I might go this route.

Attachments

• 799C4704-FBA2-46F7-8BEB-EBB9269B8185.jpeg
    799C4704-FBA2-46F7-8BEB-EBB9269B8185.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • 5FF862CD-33DD-49B6-9FEB-1510DC362A78.jpeg
    5FF862CD-33DD-49B6-9FEB-1510DC362A78.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
25” is excellent. Don’t want to sell your saw short on the bar when it carries 461 power. :muscle:

Personally I much prefer a 20" on a saw that size for cutting firewood and a 28" when I'm felling trees. I don't really like a 24" much.

As far as quality, Cannon bars are some of the best. They don't make a lightweight bar though. If you want top quality in a 20" bar, that's the one. For a 28" a lightweight bar would be great. Tsumura makes good ones. You can buy a 28" .050 on eBay for like $110 shipped. Seller is archerplus.

Back