Ant bites and other things in the firewood!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A gal we know at church was bitten by a recluse spider years ago and it still has not healed and still flaresup every so often.
yes I have heard of that too idk maybe its immunity specific they always made my bite look like a blow torch burnt me and slowly healed leaving scared evidence for at least two years. I never got sick or any other symptoms the other time i was bitten i went to doc and got antibiotic this time i just let it heal.

It's too cold here for scorpions, recluse bites can be deadly and I don't think we have widows here. I did keep working! LOL
As far as a tick on a dic# that's just too funny. I don't get ticks on me, I have sulfur water and drink a lot of it, I believe the sulfur fends them off.
The old farmers would mix powdered sulfur in their drinking water in the spring.
To be clear, I never saw what bit me, I did split a colony of the ants in a log though and it's a blotch like in the pics I found, and did I mention it itches? Holy cow! I wash it with alcohol and rub some tea tree oil on it and it seems to help for a few hours.
There are two poisonous spiders in New York State. Both are Yellow Sac Spiders and are about 1/2 inch size...
... and yes you have 3 poisonous snakes living in NY state. Massasauga rattlesnake, Timber rattlesnake and the Copperhead.

There are two poisonous spiders in New York State. Both are Yellow Sac Spiders and are about 1/2 inch size...
... and yes you have 3 poisonous snakes living in NY state. Massasauga rattlesnake, Timber rattlesnake and the Copperhead.
Living is right. however, thriving is a different tune, most venomous snakes prefer mild winter. I can say I have lived in both the south and the north and am an avid outdoors man and I have never seen a venomous Serpent north of Arkansas. I do know they exist , so your correct but they barely exist which makes me wander if they actually hitched a ride somehow as stow away's vrs actually breed active populations. I can show you places that 100% fact if you walked 100 yards you would be bitten for sure.

Dave and everybody - try this if you have some. If not, make some this summer and keep it on hand for when you need it.

Every summer, I cut Jewelweed plants - flowers, leaves, and stems. Crush them into a large clean utility pan. Make it almost solid about 3/4 full. Add just enough water to level with jewelweed. Boil for about 15 minutes, the reduce the heat to low for about 4 hours. Then strain the juice into clean containers that can be frozen. The strong juice can be applied to anything itchy - rashes, bug bites, poison ivy and reduces itching and swelling. I like to make little ice cubes with it to treat poison ivy. The cold and the juice really helps. Caution - it will stain some clothing. Freeze what you don’t use.

Best wishes.

I would love to get chickens or guinea hens but I think our dog wouldn't get along with them.
Similar situation here. I'd love to have chickens to help with the yard work but I have a herding dog that would harass them to death if it weren't for a sled dog that would kill them all within seconds.

Similar situation here. I'd love to have chickens to help with the yard work but I have a herding dog that would harass them to death if it weren't for a sled dog that would kill them all within seconds.
My dogs father was a purebred Australian shepherd, she is always in the herding mode...lol
dJApJYJl.jpg

A friend had 2 Newfoundlands, when ever they had a pool party they had to put the dogs in the kennel, they kept pulling the people out of the pool. I had a Black Lab that was terrified of water.

Back