hydraulic pump leaks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Greetings and salutations!
I have been missing on here for awhile, i've been sort of busy, but that is a lousy excuse.... :(

The puddles are getting larger... and best guess is that it seems to be the hydraulic pump itself is leaking. I wiped it off pretty decent the other day, and a few seconds later I see a drip... :nofunny:
The pump isn't anything like new, it has split way over 1000 cords by now.... probably has every right to leak.
22 GPM two stage
Is is possible to take it apart and replace gaskets??
One time I had a smaller version apart it seemed the gaskets were like onion skins, really thin stuff.
I wonder if I can get new ones from somewhere.. ? Thicker gaskets likely would not work, and any sealer likely would not hold up to pressure. Has anybody been down this path?? The shaft seal seens to be good, and the hoses are not leaking (I did check that)

Thanks for any thots,

If your repair does not go well I have a new/used? 22gpm haldex pump I bought from Northern tool about 5/6 years ago sitting on the shelf that I would be willing to part with. It has surface rust on the unit from sitting in the garage but the plugs caps have never been off the ports.

It should be easy enough to replace. You might find an o ring in there sealing the case if that is where it is leaking. Just be sure you keep it as clean as possible so you don’t cause more problems. If your in there it would be good to replace shaft seal as well, should only be a few dollars for the trouble you will be happy you did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greetings and salutations!
I have been missing on here for awhile, i've been sort of busy, but that is a lousy excuse.... :(

The puddles are getting larger... and best guess is that it seems to be the hydraulic pump itself is leaking. I wiped it off pretty decent the other day, and a few seconds later I see a drip... :nofunny:
The pump isn't anything like new, it has split way over 1000 cords by now.... probably has every right to leak.
22 GPM two stage
Is is possible to take it apart and replace gaskets??
One time I had a smaller version apart it seemed the gaskets were like onion skins, really thin stuff.
I wonder if I can get new ones from somewhere.. ? Thicker gaskets likely would not work, and any sealer likely would not hold up to pressure. Has anybody been down this path?? The shaft seal seens to be good, and the hoses are not leaking (I did check that)

Thanks for any thots,

How long is making pression too split the wood, its nothing wrong with the pump.
Get a gasket-seal kit and replace all the seals and O rings. IMPORTANT: Clean and work very clean.
After that you will split a other 1K cords of wood.

baylordrive.jpg
This mornings fun and games. Removed two ponderosa's from a front yard. The closest tree was probably 40 ft tall... climbed them, limbed them, dropped the top. took the tall one down in two sections. No problems. 3 trips with the big dodge hauling branches!!! Anyway....

Leaking between sections is correct. And Haldex sounds familier for manufacturer... it was like $300 I spent on that pump, a number of years ago.
I will take it apart and see what is what. Now would be the time to do it as we are slow. But the cost of adding fluid is getting expensive.

Hmmmm, what do you want for that NEW pump?? im game to have a spare even if I fix this one!

If you are sure that the halves are leaking then do a rebuild. My experience has been when the bearings wobble a bit causing the fluid to go past the seals. Getting the right gasket set can be tough though. Yes they need to be thin just like original. Thanks

Back